Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird observation yesterday

Fireant

So, I've been shooting open for just over a year and I'm approaching A class now. Yesterday I went to the range for a rare practice session. I was shooting some drills to work on transitions and splits from 5, 7, 10 and 15 yards. I brought along my limited guns since I had a ton of ammo made for them and they were feeling lonely. When I started comparing my hits and times I was really confussed, my open times and hits were slower than my limited times and hits. Shouldn't that be the other way around? I'm mean I'm not knocking on the door to master or anything, but I'm a pretty competitive solid B class all around. What gives? Am I still trying to shoot my open gun like a limited gun? I switched to open to improve my limited shooting, but I know it has not improved it that much.

Trick of the day sort of thing probably, and for me the Open gun offers a TON more visual feedback that I can get caught up in. If I get caught up in everything that I can see with the Open gun I tend to start driving it instead of just watching it, muscling it around is SLOW for me where if I just watch it shoot I am more accurate and a world faster.

I am a big proponent of just hanging it out there, push incrementally harder until the wheels fall off. When they fall off you know what the weakness is, work on that while you bring it back a bit. Push it up incrementally again until the wheels fall off. Weaknesses need to be identified, and this has been the best way for me to do it. Doing this with an Open gun and all of the feedback it will give made a BIG difference in my shooting. If you don't get out of your comfort zone I don't think anything is going to help much.

EDIT: I haven't shot 500 rounds outside of a match in the last year and all of that shooting was function testing a new gun or over the chrono, I just don't have time to practice at all. I do all of my 'practice' in club matches, and 3 times shooting per month with ONE run at something is a pretty pathetic way to practice but if you really think about what worked and what didn't I think you can make some progress, I have.

Edited by HSMITH

So, I've been shooting open for just over a year and I'm approaching A class now. Yesterday I went to the range for a rare practice session. I was shooting some drills to work on transitions and splits from 5, 7, 10 and 15 yards. I brought along my limited guns since I had a ton of ammo made for them and they were feeling lonely. When I started comparing my hits and times I was really confussed, my open times and hits were slower than my limited times and hits. Shouldn't that be the other way around? I'm mean I'm not knocking on the door to master or anything, but I'm a pretty competitive solid B class all around. What gives? Am I still trying to shoot my open gun like a limited gun? I switched to open to improve my limited shooting, but I know it has not improved it that much.

You didn't give us much to go on.

I don't know your target setups...your draw, split, transition times....

You may have a shitty draw and presentation...losing all of your time finding the dot.

You may just be looking over the iron sighted guns...not really getting on the sights. If that is the case, then that could prove even faster than a red dot. If the drill/transitions were burned in...then you'd be able to manage some hits...especially if you have a decent index to go off of.

Could be anything, really.

You may have a shitty draw and presentation

Can he say that? :surprise:

Man, I didn't think Flex had seen me shoot, but I guess I was wrong. I do have a shitty draw and presentation, but at least it's consistent.

You may have a shitty draw and presentation

Can he say that? :surprise:

Man, I didn't think Flex had seen me shoot, but I guess I was wrong. I do have a shitty draw and presentation, but at least it's consistent.

"flex sees all'

I read that somewhere....

I've been shooting Open for a month or so after 2 years of Limited, and I've been shooting better and placing higher. I am a C class shooter whose practice is whatever happened in the last match. Even so, the dot is showing me lots of things to work on that I'd never see with iron sights.

• 3 weeks later...

If your goal is to improve your iron-sights shooting by shooting a dot, a dot will show you whether your grip and position are neutral or not much easier than iron sights will. Other than that, shooting too much with a dot can promote "sloppy vision," which will hurt your iron sight shooting.

Quick, precise transitions are the result high-speed focal shifts. But not just from target to target (like with a dot), but from target to sights to target to sights, and so on.

be