Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 Mags Used

sigfla

Having several 9mm 1911's in my collection I have been on the hunt for the elusive reliable 10 round mag. So far I currently have 1 Kimber 9mm (W/extraction troubles fixed), 1 STI 9mm (W/Dawson enhancement package), 1 Nighthawk Dominator.

I have used Kimber mags, STI mags (Metalform/Springfield), Metalform 9 round mags (Springfield configuration), Tripp 10 round mags, and Wilson 10 round mags. I have some Metalform 10 rounders coming but after this weekend I will not need them.

I could not get the Tripp 10 rounders to work well in the Dominator or Kimber. It nose dived rounds pretty often and killed my IDPA score 2 weeks ago in a match. All nose dive malfunctions were catastrophic in nature and required the complete removal of the mag to clear. Many times the mags got stuck so removal was a bear. They did work well in the STI.

Metalform/Springer 9 round mags worked better in all guns but I did have some nose dives with those mags as well. The Kimbers did not function well at all but they were used only in the Kimber which had trouble until I replaced the extractor. Neither was what I wanted to use for IDPA so I kept searching for a 10 round solution.

The Wilson mags performed flawlessly in all guns and so far I have a couple hundred rounds + thru them in my STI and Dominator combined. I still need to get the round counts up to 500 or so per gun before I am 100% they are my solution to 10 round 9mm but they really worked well this weekend for me. I have maybe 150 or so thru the Dominator with no malfunctions and another 100+ thru the STI with zero malfunctions. Each magazine was loaded then banged to seat the rounds in the back of the magazine prior to use. Then they road around either in my carrier or clanging around in my pocket all day while I ran and shot.

Thanks for the info.

I recently bought a 9mm Springer and still need mags for it.

I've had pretty good luck with the Wilson Combat mags in my 45's.

Maybe I will give them a try in the 9mm.

Sounds promising.

Tls

Must just be certain guns. My Tripp Mags run great in the wifes 9mm Kimber. They did not ,when I first got them, But Tripp made them right. The only Problem that she has now, and it should not be a problem. When she screws up and ends up going to slidelock. She is unable to get the slide to go home with a new mag inserted. She now has to send the slide home, load the mag, then rack the slide. If she never ran the gun to slide lock, it would run great.

Must just be certain guns. My Tripp Mags run great in the wifes 9mm Kimber. They did not ,when I first got them, But Tripp made them right. The only Problem that she has now, and it should not be a problem. When she screws up and ends up going to slidelock. She is unable to get the slide to go home with a new mag inserted. She now has to send the slide home, load the mag, then rack the slide. If she never ran the gun to slide lock, it would run great.

Tough not to slide lock in IDPA. The mags seating too high?

Are you having any trouble seating a full mag with one in the chamber?

Richard

PS: Have you tried Wilson or McCormick .38 super 10 rounders with 9mm ammo? I am told this works well also.

Dave, are you saying she can't slingshot it or the slide stop won't let the slide go (or both)?

I had problems with both the 10 rd Metalform and 10 rd Wilson. Both seated to high in both of my pistols. The slide would not go all the way forward with the mag inserted.

I filed a bit off the upper side of the mag catch hole and now all of them work.

Dave

I guess I have not Shot her gun enought to know for sure, But I do know that when the gun runs dry and goes to slidelock, If you put a fresh mag in , the slide will not go home by hitting the slidelock button. I will have to try to see if it will slingshot with the new mag. I just kind of chaulked it up to good incentive to never go to slidelock. I will have to get back to you.