Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone seen one of these ?

I saw some video of a guy shooting one once. His wasn't fancy or anything. It was basically a thickwall pipe with a welded base and fuse hole.

Someone asked him why he didn't put wheels on it and he said he was afraid of weakening the metal with any further welding. And yes, boys and girls, it will launch a 16# bowling ball a long, long way.

Awesome to watch.

dj

hmmmmmm looks like it would be a lot of fun assuming you had a 1000 meter range to shoot it. Can you recover the ball and use it again or is used up? Might depend on what you hit on the other side.

Kevin

hmmmmmm looks like it would be a lot of fun assuming you had a 1000 meter range to shoot it. Can you recover the ball and use it again or is used up? Might depend on what you hit on the other side.

Kevin

That is exactly what I was thinking. :cheers:

they gotta machine gun shoot in my area, and some guy brings one that was made out of a welding gas tank, a big one. welded a trailer ball hitch to the neck hole, and a reciever to a car tire rim. props it up w/ some rods, puts in a stupid amount of black powder, i think a pound, i forget, the ball, and KABOOM...... i was playing RO for the first(and last!) time. some other guy's got a bunch of military vehicles, this time he had some armored personnel carrier, i made sure i was behind it when the bowling ball cannon went off......

Kevin

On the video I watched, the range was in a marshy area. When the BB hit the ground, it just kept going. He didn't bother trying to recover spent rounds :surprise:

dj

Thanks for the entertaining link!

I plugged the term in over at YouTube and there are a bunch of videos of these monsters - including something called a "gasoline launch" - not sure if it included a bowling ball or not, but at night, it looked really fearsome.

As far as re-using the bowling balls, I Googled it and one guy mentioned launching these over a pond or lake & apparently, bowling balls float! Just collect them with a row boat & reuse. The things you learn on the interweb these days!

As soon as you buy it there will be a shortage of bowling balls! :angry2: Everyone knows China is buying up all of the bowling balls, too. :roflol:

I vote we send them over all the balls the want... one at a time, with the mortar! :P

Man that is awesome!

I wish I had an area where I could test fire one of those.

That looks like fun.

A buddy of mine told me many years ago that his dad made a beer can mortar and he would fill the cans with concrete and launch them out over the gulf.

One day after many beers they started splashing them a little too close to a Coast Guard cutter.

The local PD/Sheriff showed up and told the good ol boys to wrap it up for the day. Today they'd all be in cells at Gitmo.

JK

Lone Wolf used one to launch a G17 during their "Ultimate Glock Torture Test".

I was describing the test to a buddy, going over the dragging the gun behind a pickup truck test, the literal acid test, when he said "what's next, did they shoot out of a cannon?" :D

A buddy of mine told me many years ago that his dad made a beer can mortar and he would fill the cans with concrete and launch them out over the gulf.

20+ years ago a relative was in the service and made up one of those when he was stationed overseas. He fired it one night and the base shut down thinking they were receiving incoming. He had a hell of a time disposing of it before they caught up with him.

Knowing when not to fire such a device is probably a good thing. ;)