Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

T.h.e. Tungsten Extended Rod

MBaban

I have one in my 35. It adds a little weight to the front of the gun. It's a noticeable difference over stock. Either 13 or 15 lb springs will work for me and my loads, currently with 13 lb'er, I also shoot minor loads with the same gun.

I mostly did it because I read on here a response from BE to some post that a little extra weight out front could be very beneficial . I do not have the link.

Of course, I also wanted the ability to change springs easily.

I now also have a stock G35. The factory plastic captured guide rod with the 17 lb(?) spring work for all the loads I have made for the "custom"35. But, that extra weight out front gives you a little more "settle" on target.

Tom Bergman

MBaban,

I haven't used the extended version from T.H.E., but I did try out a tungsten rod last year in my G35.

It totally changed the timimg of the gun for me. My sight would dip when the slide closed.

I went back to stock...I had a match or two coming up and didn't want to put the effort into learning the new timing.

I am sure you will want to look into running a lighter recoil spring...and maybe, adding some weight in the magwell area for balance.

Whenever a change like this is made...the first thing a shooter ought to do is some timing drills.

Burkett has some good ones: http://www.mattburkett.com/10.html

I put one in my 34 several months ago. The adjustment period was a few hundred rounds and a few days of dry-fire practice. I never noticed a difference in a match situation ---- and don't notice one now when I switch back and forth between my production 34 and my IDPA 34 that has a lighter steel rod. Functioning with 138 PF 115 gr. bullets was perfect; now that I've switched to 147 gr. at a 133 PF I notice that firing the gun onehanded topped off to 10+1 I get the first round hitting the feedramp everytime. Freestyle, I haven't been able to do it yet. I'm gonna have to start clipping some coils on my 13 lb. ISMI spring to see if I can overcome that; the only other idea I had was to put in the non-extended tungsten rod from my G17 to see if the slight weight reduction will make the difference with uncut springs. I'll report back after the Nationals and Area 8.

MBaban, the extended tungsten rod with a brass slug sounds like a nice set-up. Twenty rounds of .40 make a big difference in the balance as well, and the balance changes as the mag empties.

You WILL get a wear circle around the rod towards the front. Fret not, it is normal.

I got most of my custom stuff from Matt at CGR. Good service.

[thread drift]

Does the THE extended tungston guide rod add more than 2 oz over the stock gun?

If so, you can't use it in Production. OK , of course, in Lim 10 and LTD.

The rod is under 2 ounces and has been specifically approved for US Production.

Matt,

I know that Robin Taylor wrote that article which included the rod you sell. And, I agree, it is legal for Production.

But, I have never seen any piece of equipment "specifically approved"?

There is this on the USPSA site (NRIO Opinions):

5. The recent FRONT SIGHT article has caused some confusion about the legality of the use of either tungston or stainless steel guide rods. Are these types of guide rods allowable?

Regarding question five, internal modifications are allowed, however there is a weight restriction of no more than 2 oz over factory specified, so replacing guide rods are allowed as long as these changes do not take it over the weight requirement.

DVC,

John Amidon

May 11, 2001

http://uspsa.org/inside_nroi/opinion_2001_01.html

Matt, do you see any problems with running Slide Glide on steel/tungsten recoil rods?

Kyle,

I've been running SG#1 on my T.H.E. guiderods ----- in the 34 since I bought the rod at the end of last year, for the past few weeks in my backup 17. I've had no issues since I clipped three coils off the ISMI 13 lb. spring. Before I clipped the spring, even with a dry rod and oil in the gun, I could make the gun jam one-handed on demand with my 147 gr. wimp loads. Since I clipped the springs, I haven't been able to induce a jam...... and that's the way I like it! After all it's a glock......

• 3 weeks later...

T.H.E. Extended guide rod, ISMI 15 lb recoil spring, Wolff reduced power striker spring and polishing. The trigger is actually very smooth. Winchester 165 gr ammo lands about 3 feet, fast recovery. Thanks for the input on the 15 lb recoil spring CGR and the rest of the shooters, won the first stage and improve my time in the match :lol: . Mark