Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Barrels In 35

Mad Scientist

I must have pused the wrong button.

But here goes . I had a guy who had put a 9 mm barrel int his 35 that was made for that platform and the guy had lots of trouble with the set up and was ready to give up on the project. I had done a grip job on the gun so I was concerned that I some how had created the problem.

After further examination and conversation this had been going on for about a year. He only shot the gun once per month and had suffered thru in silence.

The fix was a simple part swap from the 40 ejector to a 9 ejector. we also installed a 12 pound wolf spring I had in my bag. what a difference

the gun went from brass hitting the ejection port and landing infront of the shooter to laying them in a nice neet pile about 2 feet from and a foot to the rear of the shooter.

These guns make for a very soft snd flat shooting limeted minor gun and they are darn fun to shot. I think he used a lone wolf barrel.

Johnnie

MSc,

My current understanding of "da rules" basically says you're only allowed to change the caliber of your blaster in Open class.

TommyBoy

PS Good info though if you want to convert your 35 to a 9mm Open Mega-blaster.

Da way I reed the rules is ,

limeted guns must be comercialy avaliable with 500 units prodiced in one calender year. or there equvialent. I think the 34 would cover this issue. Its like saying that you cant buy parts from many different manufactures and have a gunsmith build you a custom limeted blaster.

I see custom guns allthe time With s-i frames and caspion slides

not to mention the internals. The only issue then becomes major or minor. 40 is the minimum caliber to be scored as major at a 165 power in uspsa competition . 9mm is the minum caliber to be scored as minor at a 125 power factor. the said set up satisfies these requirements and thus should be legal. I would be interested to see what the powers that be would say as this is a valid concern.

Johnnie

Nick,

I have already e-mailed Amadon and am wating for his reply.

My friend already had his set up and basicaly shoots his for fun.

I will take your advise though and wait to here from him before I atempted to build any thing like that.

I am certain that a set up like that would not be legal in production. I guesse if I was starting from scratch i would just buy a 34 and be safe.

I will post what Amadon says.

Johnnie

Page 92 of the 14th edition says, quote, e)changing caliber from the factory standard is specifically not allowed. How do you read that?

Please do post Mr. Amidon's interpretation.

Tom Bergman

I was initially trying to lightheartedly save you some trouble. It seems I was misinterpreted.

Edited to add: If it says: 35 Austria .40 on the slide it probably shouldn't be shooting 9mm in Limited , Limited 10 or certainly Production. Now maybe if you used a 34 slide as well as a 9mm barrell...

But it doesn't really matter what I think does it.

MS,

I have went thru Amidon for some of this already...

(Limited/Lim10)

My starting question was for putting a 40 barrel in a G20. The 40 and the 10mm are the same caliber...so that was OK.

Switching a 40 to a 9 is changing caliber. Not allowed.

Interestingly enough...Amidon and I read the rules of Production...that is not so clear.

Twix,

Wow man I didnt meen to get you in an uproar .

I did here back from Amadon And you were right. I can take it. I was wrong on This one.

On The other hand I feel like Glock owners are Not wanted in uspsa competition The rules IMHO seem scued in favor of the predominant arms.What A pitty as Uspsa a is always screeming for more members.

A guy could shot 9 for a while and then go to 40 when they felt comfertable For little investment.

:D:rolleyes: johnnie

Edited version: I get the feeling from some shooters who have alot of money in their guns that they would rather not be shown up by a Glock shooter (not much to worry about if I'm the one wielding the plastic).

As for USPSA, see Flex's post below.

So keep playing and keep us posted.

Two more things:

1)just download your 35 for minor (instead of changing caliber)

2)Uproar is my normal state, you didn't get me there

Tom Bergman

On The other hand I feel like Glock owners are Not wanted in uspsa competition The rules IMHO seem scued in favor of the predominant arms.What A pitty as Uspsa a is always screeming for more members.

???

That's a stumper.

I feel pretty confident in saying that I don't feel any vibes on the rules being written to exclude Glocks in any way, shape, or form.

As a matter of fact, I think the USPSA allowed the G34/G35 in Production...which took changing the rules from the IPSC (international) version. (barrel length restriction in IPSC)

A guy could shot 9 for a while and then go to 40 when they felt comfertable For little investment.

At the local level...well, lets say it would take a tough (and eagle-eyed) RO to ding a "recreational" shooter on it.

Flex,

You are probable right. glocks rule in production on almost all levels.That particular rule seems stacked.

After further questions to Amadon he replied that since Glock does not make a 35version in 9 mm the swap is not legal. but since the frames are the same a complete top end would be legaljust like the sti /sv guns. I guess if glock took off the model Markings on the slide every thing would be peachy.Maybe Glock will make a Generice slide in the future.(HA HA HA)

ON the RO thing I did not know that rule and my buddy has been shooting for a year with no trouble.

Johnnie

this is one rule that needs to be changed. the 35 and 34 are the some guns in every way exept for the barrel. the ejectors switch from frame to frame. i've been shooting my 17 slide on my 24 frame for years. imean once i've got a trigger and frame that fits me i want to use it, i save my 17 frame for the .22 convertion.

I believe the thought is that a 9mm barrel that fits in a 40 slide would have more material around the barrel...(than a 40)

...a smaller inside diameter (9mm bore) and the same size outside diameter...in effect...a bull barrel.

I don't know that that is the reality. But, neither does Amidon or any ramdomly picked RO (no way to know everything about every model of gun). Gotta draw a line somewhere, I guess.

On The other hand I feel like Glock owners are Not wanted in uspsa competition.........

[Regarding Barrel Swaps]

....That particular rule seems stacked....

[Thread Drift Mode ON]

Mad...

I don't know where you're coming up with this stuff. It's a game, there must be rules. Period. Otherwise, Production division will become Open division. It's a pity that USPSA doesn't change it's rules to favor Glock's marketing strategy - but that's the way the cookie crumbles muchacho. Deal with it. If people are getting shut out of the game because they're short the $500 it takes to reload or buy a gun in a second caliber, they obviously don't have the means to be playing the game anyway. They should be putting that money in the bank.

I'm sorry I'm not very egalitarian about it, but that's life. IPSC is a relatively inexpensive sport compared to boats, motorcycles, airplanes, RV's, snomobiles, skiing, or just about anything else that is either powered or uses consumables.

Enough of the whining already.

Whining is an integral part of the USPSA experience(I have a source on this).

What disturbs me, and maybe I have only loosely followed, but isn't the MSc building "cutting edge" 9mm Open Glocks?

MSc! How do you do that without customizing the loads?

I guess I just assumed you load your own after looking at your custom blasters....I guess I also assumed the prerequisite rites of passage of an USPSA shooter who tweaks his own blasters would neccesarily include at least an experimental reloading setup.

There is a certain progression of anxiety,i.e. powder, OAL, powder, OAL, SPRINGS!?, springs, powder, powder, ahh, that's what I was looking for.

Perhaps I assume too much.

MSc! How do you do that without customizing the loads?

Twix, I am pretty sure any platform shooting Open 9 will be running with custom reloads. Kinda the same as any Open gun, right?

Maybe I am not understanding the question?

Flex,

You are right rules is rules. but hereis a way around that rule.take the 34 slide and open the front up for the

model35 9mm aftermarket barrel wich is available from a factory and over 500 produced in one year.I think the rules would alow this.What you get is a bull barrel 9 but that pretty much defeats the pourposes of this tread.all this stuff is perfectly legal with a sti caspion or any brand 1911. should be legal on the glock right?

maybe i should question amadon on this one to.

Johnnie

Twix,

I should have lokked at the second page.

I do reload have much invested in several loading setups from single stage to progresive presses with extra tool heads and powder messures. I never said i didnt want the bother I said "some dont want to bother" I personaly love the chalange of reloading and the tweeking that goes on.

Erick w,

I dont see how exspressing my opinion is in any way Whinning.I see one particular rule that seems stacked and now I am a whinner. This threed was origanaly started as a help to any one that had trouble in converting a perfectly good weapon to shoot

a second caliber. It sounds to me that you have way more money than you need because 500 bucks is alots of money in any ones book . You probable have lots of guns and time on your hand.so any financial gane in beeing thrifty would not apeel to you. If we say that well you cant afford our sport then find something elseyou will price lots of good competitors out of the game. what you will be left with are a bunch of fat old guys standing around sucking wind saying whats my time!!!Is that the way you want our sport to go sponsored shooters and rich

If you have any junior shooters around ask there parents about costs I personaly have 4 juniors and a spouse that regularly shoot. all of a sudden the costs become a great factor. with your set up I need 12 guns insteed of 6 thats some real coin A

With what I posted I need 6 Guns and 6 Barrels savings

2500 dollars. that buys alot of reloading :D equipment ,components and gear.

so what you are telling me is that I should not be shooting and introducing new blood to our sport.

Maybee you are right If every one were like you I would not have anything to do with this game . but thankfully your atitude is the exception. :D

Johnnie

I see one particular rule that seems stacked and now I am a whinner.

It's not an anti-Glock rule and was never meant to be. Glock, unlike virtually every other manufacturer, differentiates their calibers by entirely different model numbers. It's an unfortunate coincidence, not an attempt by USPSA / IPSC to persecute Glock shooters.

It sounds to me that you have way more money than you need because 500 bucks is alots of money in any ones book .

Five hundred bucks is not a lot of money for a backup gun. If it were my money and my family, I would buy one spare backup Glock and share. :P I am not cash flush, but I do know that I can buy 4 Glocks for the cost a new Limited blaster or 5, 6, maybe 7 Glocks for the price of an Open blaster.

Therefore: Glocks are relatively cheap.

Q.E.D.

Can we be friends now?