Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloads and after-market barrels

I have a glock 21 with a bar-sto barrel. I loading Rainier copper plated 200 grain FPs with 10 gr of Accurate #7 at app.1.220 in length and a crimp of app .469-".470". A EGW under sizing die is also being used. After several rounds are fired, my slide rides forward and fails to go into battery. I drop all my rounds in the tube before firing them and they always go in and fall out with out with ease. Crimping has always concerned me, but I'm setting the crimp for the same diameter as the measurment below the flare. Anyone have any ideas?

Did you check the barrel for a squib?

I can recall one time where I seated a bullet too long for a Glock, and the bullet engaged the lands/grooves of the rifling without fully chambering, and when I racked the slide, it yanked the brass off the bullet, leaving the bullet in the chamber.

:surprise:

I am no gunsmith but without seeing it I think that the lead might be a little on the short side. After a few rounds there is some build-up and you then start getting failures to feed. If the chamber was dirty( we seldom clean the chamber as good as we clean the barrel) you could also have this but failures to extract would be more frequent. I would let a good gunsmith look the gun over as nothing keeps you back as much as a gun that is not working.

you didnt mention caliber but I am gonna guess 45acp. 10 grs AA7 is the lightest charge listed for a 200 gr bullet. Up your powder charge or switch to a more suitable powder. If I had to guess your gun is short cycling, due to under power loads.

Did you check the barrel for a squib?

I can recall one time where I seated a bullet too long for a Glock, and the bullet engaged the lands/grooves of the rifling without fully chambering, and when I racked the slide, it yanked the brass off the bullet, leaving the bullet in the chamber.

:surprise:

Thanks for the reply. There's no squib. The rounds will sometimes chamber, but after a dozen or more shots the slide lacks going into battery by .10" or so. Thanks

AA7 is pretty slow for 45acp. It is most likely getting a real dirty burn since the presures are not up. I would think that a quicker burning powder would be better in the old war horse. Something like w231, Universal Clays, Clays etc..... you could try shorting to 1.200 to give your self a little more pressure and room for the fouling to collect but again I would say go to a faster powder.

Matt

Another contributing factor may be weak magazine springs. Coupled with a weak powder charge your likly to have the problems you have. Try: faster buring powder, check your mag springs, reduce your OAL, & keep your tighter chamber clean. Let us know what happens! Good luck.

LP

• 5 weeks later...

Its probably the barrel. I got the same problem with my G23 and a Barsto barrel. Two things are wrong. first, the reason the glock barrel is unsupported is they move the ramp forward to reduce the insertion angle. Second, Barston is chambering too tight for the Glock. $200 buck wasted and Barsto will just tell you that its not designed for reloads.