Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

smokey 45's

cnote

:wacko: Loaded my first group of .45's on my new 550 with 230 grain FMJ from Zero (OAL 1.25) & 3.6 grains of Clays. I was forced to shoot inside and noticed the rounds were kinda smokey. Has anyone else experienced this before. I was using a friends recipe and never noticed it when he shoots, but I normally seem him at competitions and we are outdoors. We both shoot 5" 1911 single stack.

Thank you

are you using exposed base bullets? that could be where some of your smoke comes from. Clays is clean with CMJ bullets but not 100% smokeless.

Yes they are, so that may be part of it. I also have some 230 precision black moly to try out, will that be any different??

Thanks in advance for any opinions

Yes they are, so that may be part of it. I also have some 230 precision black moly to try out, will that be any different??

Thanks in advance for any opinions

Just watch loading the Moly bullets. I have had the moly coating chip off on me before. I still shot them and didn't see any change.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew I'd find the answer to my question here. I just came from the range and had the same issue.

Cnote, what did your buddy say was the kind of bullets he's using?

Is there a lead bullet with just a covered base to prevent the smoking? The price of copper is sick and I'd like to keep away from it for USPSA shooting.

Thanks

I shot the same lead outside at Weld County USPSA and didn't notice it at all. I saw a good number of others with lead and didn't notice the smoke from them either.

Like most of us, he is loading what he can afford. I have been out of town for some time and sill shoot outdoors tomorrow to see where I stand. Hope to have the same results as you outdoors

Thanks for the reply.