Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 states, 4,800 mile trip across rural dirt road USA

Carlos

Oh to be young again. Loved that story. 30 years from now he'll still remember that trip.

Reminds me of a run I did from Louisiana to California in the early 80s on a '78 Suzuki GS750 where I made it a point not to use the interstates on the way out there.

One of the highlights of the trip was when I was on some lonesome two lane stretch in Wyoming (I took the long way to get to CA). Hadn't seen a soul in over an hour. The national speed limit at the time was 55mph. I'm in the middle of nowhere. 70 it is, and was for most of the trip. Cruising along taking in the sights of near virgin land I passed under a bridge and there was a cop. Looked in the rearview and got the flashing blue light special. Damn. After the formalities the cop gave me a ticket for 'excessive fuel consumption'. $5 fine + $10 court cost. Mail it in and doesn't go on your record.

We then talked for the next 45 minutes. Got the history of the area. A few tips on good roads to explore. Exchanged the Cliff notes on our lives. Just darn good conversation. $15 well spent. In all that time only one other car passed us. And the cop knew who it was.

Found out what America was really about on that trip.

• 3 months later...

For those who enjoyed the 1st report from the trail, I found an even more detailed report with more photos on a different forum (and yet another report below that):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358010

and

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153795

Plus, the guy who scouted the trail and who sells route charts has a website here:

http://www.transamtrail.com/

regards, d

Edited by Carlos

For those who enjoyed the 1st report from the trail, I found an even more detailed report with more photos on a different forum (and yet another report below that):

thanks to you i was up until 2am reading that... :angry2:;)

Look at it this way, that's about noon here :D

Driver8M3 and SA Friday: are you two up for the challenge? I guess-timate we'll need about 18 months' lead time to find bikes (I'm close to picking up a Suzuki DR650), master trail-riding, program in all the GPS points and save up enough vacation time. Who's game?

Driver8M3 and SA Friday: are you two up for the challenge? I guess-timate we'll need about 18 months' lead time to find bikes (I'm close to picking up a Suzuki DR650), master trail-riding, program in all the GPS points and save up enough vacation time. Who's game?

i'm toying with the idea of a road tour next spring/summer...

Dude, my wife would KILL me :sight: . I've been gone for about 18 months already. Hmmm, come to think of it, if I told her stop loss... Na, she would never buy it. Sorry guys, can't pull that one off.

goes on the list pf things to do before you die. I rode dirtbikes for 30 years, started shooting and they sit in the garage. Maybe summtime trip to Oregon the hard way would be good.

Albany Match is every 2nd Saturday of the month. We would be glad to have ya.

Thanks - looking forward to it!

D.

goes on the list pf things to do before you die. I rode dirtbikes for 30 years, started shooting and they sit in the garage. Maybe summtime trip to Oregon the hard way would be good.

Albany Match is every 2nd Saturday of the month. We would be glad to have ya.