Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New owner of my favorite local resturant

RUSHARP2

Glad this forum is here.

So I have been going to the same place for dinner every Weds. for the last 2 years. Great food, great waitstaff(hot too), great atmosphere. The place couldnt be better. It is a little wings/burger joint.

So a about a month ago we find out the owner sold out to a guy from NY that owns another local place (Italian place). The first thing to chage was the buns for the burgers, about the second week. Now that might seem insignificant, but it meant something to me. The guy found a want to save a nickel and changed the buns. Then he goes and changes the Mozzeralla sticks, our standard app. Food is not being cooked right and coming out slow, which is pissing people off and they take it out on the waitstaff. So the girls are all talking about leaving.... So what does that leave me... Food sucks, waitstaff sucks... need a new place to eat every weds.

It does not make much sense to me to start changing things that have been working. He is going to drive all the loyal regulars away, and then only get one time customers that are passing on bad press. This just sucks.

There is a local Chinese place I have eaten at for the last 10 years that recently underwent the same change.

New owners, changing recipes, no longer putting takeout in the paper pails (STYROFOAM!!! :angry2: ).

Our favorite Thai place also closed, and it is being replaced by an Indian cuisine place.

I've been on the management side of a food service operation when the ownership changed. It was very unpleasant watching my loyal customers and employees depart rather suddenly when we were forced to buy lower quality produce and bakery goods all to help the bottom line. I chose to depart along with them after which all but two employees quit leaving the establishment closed for several days.

Those owners drove the place into the ground and eventually were closed by the health department. They sold out to better owners who re-established the former reputation with much hard work and a rather large infusion of capital to overcome the total lack of maintenance the bad owners had inflicted on the place.

I still won't eat there when I am back in that town though. Too many "ghosts". But I have had take-out and the quality is on par with the good old days.

Food service is a really weird racket. There is an old saying about how one makes a small fortune in food service...start with a large fortune. This is actually pretty true if you always try to go at the bottom line and forget that if you don't take care of your customers you will soon fold.

I've had several places go this route. Can't say I would have objected to them rasing prices to keep it the way it was.

Crap produce can't be cheap enough, and neither can poor cooks. One should also try to make sure at least osme of the waitstaff on the floor have waited on customers at least once before starting work that day.

There is a local Chinese place I have eaten at for the last 10 years that recently underwent the same change.

New owners, changing recipes, no longer putting takeout in the paper pails (STYROFOAM!!! :angry2: ).

Our favorite Thai place also closed, and it is being replaced by an Indian cuisine place.

Don't knock Indian food, I love CURRY! :cheers:

Changes are inevitable, some are good but some are not! :angry: