Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ranier 9mm 147grain Fmj

KAL

Maybe someone can help, There is a steel match this weekend, And my 147 JHP Zeros and VV N-320 are not going to be here in time. I have a new G-34 and have never loaded for it yet, Only had it a week.  I have Ranier 147 FMJ's and the following powders-  7625, Clays, And Universal Clays. any one got a load using the 7625, I think that might be the best choice of the 3 on hand until the N-320 shows up. Will only get one shot for load test tomorrow then I work straight through until the match on Sunday.  Any help would be Great.

Keith I don't have any load data for you, but when I got under 130 PF with my G34 with 147grainers, it wouldn't run until I went to a lighter than stock recoil spring. I may be the only one to have that problem, YMMV, but check for functioning also.

here is some hodgdon data for 147 grain.

147 GR. HDY XTP

COL: 1.100"

HS-6 5.0 885 27,900 CUP

UNIVERSAL 3.3 869 31,000 CUP

TITEGROUP 3.6 929 27,500 CUP

you will need near maximum charges to push the 147 grain bullets for good accuracy.my loads consist of 4.5 grains of titegroup,or 5.5 grains of hs-6 using speer gold dots.

I think the Universal is your best bet of the three. It's pretty much a modern substitute for Unique right? I've loaded a bunch of 147s with Unique. 7625 is too slow, but might work, and Clays is too fast/weird, but also might work. But seeing as Hodgdon only supplied data for Universal, not plain Clays, that should be a clue/warning.

Remember to use lead bullet data for plated, not jacketed data. If there is no lead bullet load, reduce the jacketed load.

320 is on the high end of the pressure curve.  VV does NOT list 320 in their manuals for the 9mm 147.  That said, I use 320 & 147s in my 9mms.

FMy load data (in an Elite II) for a 9mm 147 gr jacketed, federal 100 primer

320 - 3.6gr

7625 - 3.9gr

Both load should make about 130pf.  

With the 147s, you may have to dramatically shorten up the OAL of your rounds.

I load a 147 gr RN West Coast plated on top of 3.1 grs of vv320 with an OAL of 1.154 and a Federal Magnum primer from my G-34 (Barsto barrel) I get 865 (127 pf).  But I also have the problem twix mentioned.  This load will not cycle a 17 lb spring.  I run 13lb from Glockmeister and a buffertech shock buff.  Also when I have tested this Barsto against factory glock barrels, the factory barrels always have needed more vv320 usually about 0.3 to 0.4 grains.  But I will say I love the recoil feel of  the light 147 with the 13 lb spring.  I will never go back to the loud, snappy 115's I was shooting before.