Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tool Head Set up Questions

I’m new to reloading and in the process of researching how to best set up a “reloading” program for my department. We cannot sustain our rifle training with the increase in ammunition costs and inconsistent supply. We project using roughly 200,000-250,000 rounds of .223 a year.

We don’t have unlimited funds to buy the necessary equipment, but want the process as automated as possible (a camdex would be nice :rolleyes: ). Savings spent reloading may not make up for the man-hours, but with costs and availability being more of an issue it’s worth it to us. This will void the warranty on our rifles due to reloading, but whatever we break we’ll be able to fix/replace.

So here’s the concept we are looking at, but would like to tap into your experience base to see if it’s practical;

(1) Super 1050 dedicated for only loading a basic .223 55gr FMJBT practice round with a KISS bullet feeder and powder check.

Even with eight stations, is there enough room to accommodate all the accessories?

We were going to dedicate a XL 650 to process the brass we shoot to keep costs down. Can the 650 be set up to swage the primer pocket and free up another station on the 1050 if the accessories we want don’t fit?

What is the best way to set up the XL 650 to process brass once it’s been cleaned and inspected (to include decap, resize, trim, swage and anything else I forgot)

Thanks for your time,

John

You won't be using the powder check with the KISS unless you use a combination seating/crimping die.

I don't believe the primer pocket swager will fit the 650.

As for warrany on rifles with reloads, how will they know if you don't tell them?

I have a 650 that I process 223 brass on and a 1050 that I load it on. On the 650, I have the decapper/sizer on stage 1 and the Dillon trimmer on stage 4. This allows me to insert the pins to hold the tool head. That's all I do for 223 on the 650. I don't know of a swager for the 650. That's why I got the 1050.

On the 1050, I do the complete load. I don't have a KISS, but I can load at a good pace placing bullets by hand.

It's funny how you can overlook things...

Of course, there's no reason not to swage on the 1050 just before priming..

Mr. Chitlin is right..

Do 'most' of the prep on the 650, then load on the 1050

I always process the brass 100%, so I can load small test batches for working on loads a 550 and bulk on the 1050, so all my brass prep has to be done on the 1050.

The footprint on my bench for the KISS and 1050 Super is 12" x 16", not including the handle and 12" x 23" to the end of the handle.

The casefeeder sits 37 1/2" high and the KISS feeder is 36" high.

HPIM0703.jpg

You won't be using the powder check with the KISS unless you use a combination seating/crimping die.

I copy on the swage.

What are the disadvantages to using a combination seating/crimping die?

If you don't use a powder check system, do you visually verify each case has been filled with powder?

Nice set up! That's what we want.

Edited by JF1

I copy on the swage.

What are the disadvantages to using a combination seating/crimping die?

If you don't use a powder check system, do you visually verify each case has been filled with powder?

Nice set up! That's what we want.

My bench is 32" high, I sit on a bar stool that's 27" high, so I can see in the case as it comes around to the bullet drop (I'm still tring to find a nice little light to illuminate the area). I can also load standing up - I'm 6' tall.

I don't think there are any disadvantages to using a combination die, I'm just using the Dillon dies.

I hope this helps.