Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with magazine break in SP-01

Yesterday (while in a match of course) the magazine break on my SP-01 decided to play a little trick on me. I am not sure how this happened but the bottom portion of this part (used to cover the hammer spring) came off and pinched a magazine to the point that I needed a screw driver to take out the mag. Since I still had three more stages to go, I just pulled the part out and continued to shoot the match without it.

Is it legal in Production to simply leave this part out and continue to shoot without it? Will this have any ill effect on the pistol?

I found this replacement part on-line: GhostHolster.com Is anyone here familiar with it and again, will using it make my pistol illegal for Production?

Thanks!

-Cy

I find this under Appendix D4, Item 21 -- Authorized Modifications (Strictly limited to these items and their stated guidelines):

Exchange of minor components (springs, safeties, slide stops, guide rods)

Is the magazine break a spring? Is this an internal modification?

Cy,

It is weird how that happened but I seem to recall some discussion that leavind the break out is not a good idea on czforum or czshooters. Perhaps EERW will chime in here. The factory part should be fine so perhaps a replacement from CZ-USA would do. In fact, if you call them, you may find that they will send you a replacement.

Later,

Chuck

Is the magazine break a spring? Is this an internal modification?

My-oh-my... Talk about a gray area!! :surprise:

I really don't know how to answer that. :wacko:

This just poped up while I was typing. Getting a replacement from CZ-USA can help the greyness. The part is called a "Magazine Brake" in the manual. It is not called a "Spring". Get the part from CZ and you should be fine.

Later,

Chuck

Hi Cy - it is an internal part as much as any Glock replacement guide rod and unlike that Glock part, it can't be seen from outside the gun with the mag in place. Furthermore, leaving it out provides no competitive advantage. It's OK to leave it out under the rules, but you should replace it and here is why: leaving it out exposes the hammer strut and the mainspring (aka hammer spring) to all sorts of junk; it might even be possible to hit the spring while doing a mag change - and that can't be good for the spring or the mag.

How does this happen? Its easy to re-assemble the gun with the brake in place, but to actually miss hooking the brake through the mainspring cap pin. The gun will look and function normally, but the brake is not hooked in place. Don't feel bad, a certain GM I know had the same issue (at an Area championship) and manganged to fold the spring up due to a particularly forceful reload. It also took a lot of work to undue that one.

Regards,

C

Hey Cy..

pretty much what Carlos said..

it can be replaced..you can leave it out. either way is legal.

its best to replace it though..what happens is the hammer spring is easily exposed to dirt and crap..and also on the reload it is possible to catch the back to the top round on the spring as you try to insert the mag..

use the CZ custom replacement mag brake. its a bit thicker and won't bend like the stock part

use the CZ custom replacement mag brake. its a bit thicker and won't bend like the stock part

yep... that's what is riding in my SP01 now. I did put little bend in it and it functions like a champ.. magazines drop free every time I hit the release.

I seem to recall a post from Angus over at the CZ forum, he had the same problem you had. I have the CZ custom non mag break in mine now. Works great, don't even know it is there.