Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber polymer gun for IPDA

kimberacp

Does anyone use a Kimber polymer for IDPA? I just got one with 4 mags for a good price and started using it in IDPA. Some say its a junkie gun and they're. But others say its a good low budet wide body. I thinks its not bad. They need some work.

I did get a mag catch from Pete Dawson from overseas, had a match bushing installed along with a STI hammer and sear. Shooting 230 FMJ with 4.1 Clays, 15 lb recoil spring/18lb MSpring.

This one is the Bul M5 model, so it has the square trigger guard and trigger not the standard 1911 part.

I added some JB weld to the trigger to get the slop out of it and installed a trigger stop at the back of the trigger, only because I didnt want to spend on the GunCraft Para triggers that will fit! Maybe later I will.

Para mags do fit, I cut the mag slot one to match the Kimber mags and it took about 5 minutes with a demel tool and file.

The fit my Kydex 1911 holster easily. If I do my part, will group at 25 yards, two inch groups with the stock barrel. Because it is a light gun, it is very fincky in regards with trigger pressure when shooting groups. For fast shooting, I really dont notice any difference with the splits compared to my other 1911s.

Easily, do 7 yards Bill Drills under the 2 sec. mark.

Why use one, I dont really know, only that I ve seen some posts on this gun and thought of it as a low 10 rd or hi-cap gun.

Its all good, I guess! :blush:

I used to shoot a Bull M5 for years. It gave me excellent service. I only sold it because I wanted a full length dust cover. The guy that bought it now uses it every Saturday to kick my but. You have no idea how disappointed I am.

PS I do not think that it is low budget - I saw a guy blow one up because of a proud primer. When the bottom edge of the slide met the primed it the round detonated and because the cartridge war still out of the chamber. The barrel was scrapped but the rest of the gun is still working fine. It was one of the early Bull M5 kits with a National Gold Cup topend. These is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality.

Get it to run well on 130-140ish pf ammo and think ESP instead of CDP. Think about it a 10 plus one reloadable almost non recoiling gun punching .45 SWC's holes in cardboard. I looked at one of these years ago and my impression was it was really cheap junk. But that was from looking and handling it. The reports from people who actually own and shoot one all seem favorable.

make no mistake about it, S_I frame are whole different ball game. Kimber polymer do not campare to the S_I frames!!!! Here in Calif, a Kimber polymer gun will cost you what just a S_I frame would if you can get one!

I have one and love it, it was (and is occasionally still my bed table gun) but lately I have been just taking my carry gun right out of my brief case when I get home with me upstairs, because of a lack of time (HK P2000SK .40).

But the Kimber will do you fine, I put a F/O sight up front, and the gun shoots and shoots, and very accurately.

The only thing I didnt like occured with 180 PF type home defense ammo, and that was the plastic beavertail delivering a good sting to the hand, again this was Corbon 165 .45 acp. With regular USPSA Major or CDP fodder at 167 PF, I didnt feel the stinging. This gun also stood out in my "limp wrist" test and was superior to most of the other pistols I own, I could not get a limp wrist misfeed no matter how hard I tried.

My Vote - Best Bargain !!!! - Not a "cheap gun"

Jon

Put me in the "like it" catagory. I have one that I shoot in ESP at 135-140 PF. the only thing that I don't like is the plastic grip safety, every so often it does not fully disengage the firingpin safety (it is sterting to wear out the lever that pushes the plunger up) and I get hammer fall but no bang. Since IDPA won't let me disconnect the very important firing pin safety (two safeties are not enough) I am looking for a steel grip safety, maybe from a Charles Daly or a BUL.