Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super to 9MM

Todd B.

Hi Everybody,

I have a Para P14 in 38 Super that I'd like to convert to 9MM shooting Limited (minor) and also use for the occasional IDPA ESP. The local club matches I shoot do not score Minor and Major.

Does anybody have experience with Para magazines going from 38 Super to 9MM. What sort of reliability can I expect with 9MM?

thanks.

Ummm... maybe I'm confused. I'm not sure I understand all the details...

You can shoot 38 Super in USPSA Limted as minor.

I'm not into IDPA, but the rules seem to imply that 38 Super is fine for ESP.

So, why not shoot it as-is?

The only reason I can come up with is that you don't reload, and want to buy ammo off the shelf, and 9mm is much cheaper.

The only other reason is that you do reload, but have a butt-load of free 9mm brass.

Why 9mm?

Edited by Jeff686

i have some older para 38 super magazines and the newer para 9mm magazines. there is a slight difference in their design, such that using 9mm ammo in the old 38 super magazines might allow a bit of a gap between the top round and the underlying round (after you put several rounds in the magazine). this might result in some nosedive feeding issues. the newer 9mm para mag design appears to completely eliminate the gap and nosedive issue in my experience. to test what your magazines are, load them with some 9mm rounds and see if the gap appears that might produce a nosedive issue. if they are of the old 38 super design, using round nose bullets for 9mm ammo will reduce feeding problems compared to flat nose bullets. you can also buy the 9mm mags from para or brownells.

Thanks for the replys everybody.

I do not currently reload, but I'm working on that too.

The main reason for the switch to 9MM is to allow for store bought ammo right now, and cheaper (free) brass down the road.

I lose a lot of brass right now, so the 38 Super is much more expensive.

My Magazines are most likely the older blued 38 Super mags (bought in the 90's) and not the new nickel 9MM mags so that could be an issue.

I guess I'll give it a try and if problems pop up, there is always Bevin Gram.

thanks again.

If I had a 38 super factory gun and wanted to shoot it a lot I would at least have a new barrel fitted in 9mm. 9mm vs 38 super cost is a no brainer and well worth the new barrel cost. Now talking custom race guns...yeah I probably would build that in 9mm also lol.