Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Over-practicing the IDPA Classifier?

Filishooter

HuskySig -- no, I'm talking about shooting around the barrel. I just don't remember the position requiring an awkward shift to engage T2 and T3....The targets are fairly close together, and you're still back, what -- 15y?

You're still 15 yards back, but the targets are not only on three different planes, they're two yards apart which means you have to transition 12 feet total right to left. Actually probably more like 14 feet if you add in target width. I actually find keeping my balance while torguing my body around that far, shooting from kneeling on Stage 3, Strings 2 and 3, is the single most challenging part of the classifier for me.

Shoot the kneeling stage on both knees that way your upper body is in the same position as standing shots.

Also what the heck is , "priority sequence" ? With the similarities between the terms tactical priority and tactical sequence, and the completely opposite way they are shot it is irksome that MD's and SO's still screw it up especially when it is in written stage descriptions.

I dont think it is ever possible to practice anything too much. I never understood why some people get upset if some one earns Master on the classifier but doesnt do well at matches. Is it some kinda elitist club I dont know about? I dont see how my qualifying higher than my match ability could ever effect someone else. If anything it helps them by making the field easier to beat and by making the division field larger so their win or place finish means more. I look at the classifier as a set of skills that I can measure over a long period of time and am only shooting against myself and the clock. I can track my progress over time.

I never understood why some people get upset if some one earns Master on the classifier but doesnt do well at matches. Is it some kinda elitist club I dont know about? I dont see how my qualifying higher than my match ability could ever effect someone else.

I have a lifelong history in Martial Arts so I compare a Master Classification with a blackbelt. I have a friend who's kid just got his blackbelt in TaeKwonDo, he feels great and is proud of the accomplishment. He is a very humble kid who worked very hard and I'm sure he'll do well in his journey. In contrast I've come across other new blackbelts that were complete jerks. If you want to talk about "Elitist" there is nothing worse than someone who thinks they have "arrived" and can't back it up.

I have respect for anyone who shoots well enough to classify as Master as that is an accomplishment. If that Master is getting beat by Expert shooters than I still have respect for what he/she accomplished and realize that getting a Master class IS like getting a blackbelt, its just the beginning. If that person had the skill to make Master in the classifier with a little more work it should translate into better match performance and should just be a matter of time. Its like graduating college and finding a real job, some people take longer than others. I tend to loose some respect when the attitudes creep in.

For me its a personal thing. Making Master is a short-term goal. When that goal becomes more important than the big picture (which it has started to become for me) I need to take a step back. I feel I'm practicing the classifier so much that its becoming obsessive. I've come to realize that I don't NEED to make Master. What I do need to do is work on things that will improve my shooting, if I do that, then "trying" to make Master no longer exists...one day it will just be.

Also what the heck is , "priority sequence" ? With the similarities between the terms tactical priority and tactical sequence, and the completely opposite way they are shot it is irksome that MD's and SO's still screw it up especially when it is in written stage descriptions.

A bit of thread drift perhaps, but I've always wished that IDPA had been able to come up with different names there. By making the two terms so similiar, it is confusing. The way I remember it is that "pieing" and "priority" both start with "p" but I always have to go through that little mental trick every time I read a course description with tactical priority or tactical sequence in it.

Shoot the kneeling stage on both knees that way your upper body is in the same position as standing shots.

That's a thought. Back when I first began shooting the classifier, on Stage 3, String 3 I used to drop to both knees and actually engage T2 and T3 from around the right side of the barrel, then transition over to the left side of the barrel to engage T1. I don't remember being any slower than I am today - and I was one helluva lot more accurate because I was never off-balance.

The way I remember it is that "pieing" and "priority" both start with "p" but I always have to go through that little mental trick every time I read a course description with tactical priority or tactical sequence in it.

Duane,

Good trick.

I use Priority to mean urgency. That is nearest to farthest, or as you see them. I use Sequence to be 1-1-2-1-1 a sequence of numbers.

kr

No problem I can't claim it though. My first year shooting IDPA someone laid that gem on me and I honestly can't remember who it was. But I always share it with new shooters who seem to be confused on the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
Just thought I'd let you guys know I made Master. 97.something by the skin of my teeth but I made it!

Congrats. Earning MASTER is an accomplishment, and the right thing to do if that is the level that you shoot. Opposed of course to those who should be classified Master yet they avoid or trash Classifier Matches. One of flaws in classification process with IDPA and USPSA.

MJ :cheers:

I know a shooter that is a 4 gunmaster. I know he drilled and drilled the classifier. Now he moans about getting beat in his class on a regular basis.

THe classifer is a fine measuring stick if you shoot it once a year.

Don't get me started on !@#$%^&*() sandbaggers!!!