Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer feeding problem with my dillon 650

DS12

I'm having issues with my dillon 650 - i've taken it apart loosened tightened tweaked adjusted and tried to tinker and figure it out but for the life of me i can't.

i keep getting messed up primer feeding, the primer push pin and plate don't line up all the time correctly to the shell pplate.

if i give the shell plate opposing force while its cycling then the shell plate and case lines up fine and primer seats fine but wtf?! i shouldn't have to manually force the shellplate into position every time i pull the handle.

Your post has me a bit confused, you wrote “opposing force”; that, I see as counter clockwise force (opposite the way the machine runs); then you write “I shouldn’t have to force into position”. So do you have to advance the shell plate or do you have to keep it from advancing too much?

At either rate…

Calling Dillon will more than likely fix the problem. If you wanted an answer aside from that…

My first bet would be that the locator tab on station #2 (P.41 step 17) could be your problem (the book states .010 clearance, but play a little to find what works).

If your press is in a bind, you might try backing off the center shoulder bolt; while making sure the setscrew below the ram keeps it from rotating (thus tighten it and bind the shell plate)(p.38). Other than that, you can “fine tune” the priming station with the two socket head cap screws (the two Allen head bolts in fig 162). I had to do this to make S&B brass work 100%. Also, make sure you don’t have a grain of powder (or other trash) on the primer seating ram, canting the primer and calling all bets off.

Also, I know this is an easy one, but we all forget, make sure you have the correct shell plate installed.

I had these same types of issues (I think) and for me it came down to the cleanliness of the priming system. The primer plate is actually advanced past the punch location and then the plate is popped back into the proper place by the ball detent built into the primer system body. I found when my priming system got dirty it created too much drag for the detent ball to work all the time and the priming plate would end up misaligned. Now I just hit the whole thing with brake cleaner every once in a while and don't have any more problems. Another way to correct this is to tune the primer plate advancing arm so it doesn't advance the plate past the location but just advances it to where it needs to go.

Neal in AZ

Another way to correct this is to tune the primer plate advancing arm so it doesn't advance the plate past the location but just advances it to where it needs to go.

I think he needs to tune it so it advances a little further. And cleaning it would also help.

check your primer cam.. page 49 in my manual,, part number 13670... is it worn, to the point that it will not advance enough,,,

I have what seems to be the same problem,, I just have to make the call to get a new one.

Jim M ammo