Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super reloads

Todd B.

Hi everybody,

Please excuse my newbiness.

I have a Para .38 Super (compensated) that runs great with factory ammo (minor PF). I use mostly WWB, Federal AE, and sometimes PMC or Remington. I don't reload YET, but i'm close to getting started.

I've tried several sources of local range reloads and they just won't run reliably in my gun. I think the chamber is too tight. Cases that have even the slightest bulge after resizing will not chamber and sometimes I have extraction issues as well.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Will reloads from a supplier like Atlanta Arms be more reliable?

2. When I do start reloading, what should a look for to remedy this problem? Is it a gun problem or a reload problem, or a combo of both.

thanks in advance.

-todd

1) Can't tell you about the Atlanta Arms 38 Super reloads, never used them. But I have used other AA ammo and have always been pleased with it.

2) Get an EGW undersized Sizing Die, it squeezes the case down tighter and removes those nasty bulges.

Welcome Todd...

In my opinion, Atlanta Arms provides high quality ammunition and I have never had any feed issues when using their stuff. Due to the ammo at least. I would give some a try and see it works for you.

As for when you start reloading, I would get an undersized sizing die from EGW. Here is the web address www.egw-guns.com. EGW offers custom made, carbide sizing dies that are 0.001" smaller in diameter than typical dies. These dies also flair lower than some other sizing dies and size the case further down, which may prevent feed failures as well.

I use these dies now and do not have the sizing problems I used to.

For 38 Super, unless something has changed, Atlanta Arms uses new brass.

Nothings changed.

+1 on Atlanta Arms.

+2 on Atlanta Arms. I haven't used their Super, but it should be the same as their Supercomp which gave me a PF of 173 out of my Bedell shorty and chrono'd extremely consistently with a standard deviation of 5 or less....extremely accurate and predictable ammo. It may not wind up being the best match with your comp, as they're all slightly different, but it's going to be more than good enough until you're really, really good.

Their ammo is so good there are some folks considering building comps tuned to that specific ammo so that people don't have to do any experimenting....can't wait to see how that develops. R,

Thanks for the quick reply's guys.

I'll call Atlanta tomorrow and see what the prices look like. Does anybody know what the minimum order is?

thanks again,

-todd

Thanks again for the replys guys.

I received the most up to date pricelist from AAA - $16.50 for a box of 50 .38 Super (TN38S) seems pretty reasonable.

I'll probably order some of their 45 ACP as well - $12.50.

-todd

Atlanta Arms' major power factor loads for 38 Super are awesome. Used them in '06 for the A63G and chrono'ed perfect. Danny and the guys do it right.

If I ever make the switch to SC (which will probably never happen) I'll just order 2000 rounds and roll from there.

Rich

With supercomp brass, reasonably slow powders, and heavy bullets in the 124 gr range you should see minimal case head expansion which should pretty much negate the need for an EGW die. The standard sizing die from dillon has been working for me. Don't assume your reloads will have problems until you try them.