Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

case gauge wheelgun ammo?

colbyjack

Look at my sign off signature.....

I " Touch Wood " don't have to worry about ammo at matches, beacuase I am anal in ammo prep. That's right anal. I like to remove all emergent issues before I get to the match. I case gauge all match ammo, and mooncheck it as well. I use Heathco clips exclusively, and suggest that everyone carry additional well stored mooclips. It costs no extra to be prepared at a match, but it can cost a lot if you are not prepped before you get there.

:surprise:

I agree 100%. Although, I haven't been reloading long enough to not worry. I quadruple check everything on match ammo and STILL have one get by now and then. <_<

Gary

Depends.

Local Matches I never worry much.

Larger Matches use a Moon Checker or your Cylinder, I've found the same as Mike.

Nationals!!!! I did Case Gauge, then I Moon Checked, then while I had the Revo cleaned and apart dropped them in and spin checked them. Did about everything but check individual velocities/functioning, kind of stopped since it would then start all over and I wouldn't even be at the match!!

I case gauged due to an occasional warped/expanded rim, which if bad enough can drag a bit.

I took enough checked loaded ammo to the Nationals that I could've shot 2x and not reused a clip. And after the mud bath that the match was, it was well worth the cost. Coming back I found half a dozen clips that had been ruined in the mud bowl.

Now if'n I had a high paying job like a Lawyer or Engineer, I might even get all Heartcho's.

Edited by pskys2

I guess I do case guage everything. It's a hard habit to break as I still do the quality control for our machining company.

I also only make one .45 load for the revolver and semi-auto so I simply case guage all of them and put them in a bin so I can just grab a few hundred when needed for whatever gun I am going to shoot.

I still chamber check the loaded clips in the cylinder.

I have re-seated the primers of many thousands of rounds of loaded revolver ammo. I never had a problem. This was when I was using a 550 and for some reason that machine never wanted to seat the primers below flush. I was using a lot of Winchester primers and they needed to be below flush to fire. Now that I reload .45 ACP strictly on a 650 I find that the primers are always seated below flush and there is no reason to ever re-seat them. My match gun is the only .45 revolver I have that is a Federal-primer-only proposition and even then I never need to re-seat those. Now that I am back to casting my own bullets to be able to afford to shoot I no longer have time to waste dealing with primer issues.

I don't think I ever met a loaded round that wouldn't fit into the cylinder of my 625. I remember reloading some A-Merc brass that made my Glock 21 choke with the Bar-Sto barrel and even those fit into my 625.

Some cartridges will produce shrapnel when they go off outside a chamber and some will not. But it's too embarassing to explain how I came to realize this.

Dave Sinko

Look at my sign off signature.....

I " Touch Wood " don't have to worry about ammo at matches, beacuase I am anal in ammo prep. That's right anal. I like to remove all emergent issues before I get to the match. I case gauge all match ammo, and mooncheck it as well. I use Heathco clips exclusively, and suggest that everyone carry additional well stored mooclips. It costs no extra to be prepared at a match, but it can cost a lot if you are not prepped before you get there.

:surprise:

From Pin Shooter's sig line -

All matches start at the reloading bench........

I prep all of the moonclips before reloading them and cylinder check all of the loaded moonclips - everytime, regardless of a practice session or match.

IMHO moonclips that hang up in a practice session break the fluidity of the reload.

FWIW after reloading the moonclips I put them in a Plano large fishing tackle utility box that i pick up from Wally World.

I dislocated my shoulder twice, last incident back in December. Within three days I was loading ammo on my 650 and I was back to handgun shooting in about 10 days. I refused surgery (which seemed to aggravate many of the doctors) and recovered with a bit of physical therapy. So it is possible to make a quick recovery.

Dave Sinko

Now if'n I had a high paying job like a Lawyer or Engineer, I might even get all Heartcho's.

Engineers? The guys driving the choo-choo trains?

As long as they don't hit nuthin' they can make tons.