Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LASER

US APPENDIX 6 US OPEN DIVISION:

13--------Optical/electronic sights permitted-------yes

Does this include laser sights? They aren't optical but they sure are electronic.

e·lec·tron·ic

adjective 1. of or pertaining to electronics or to devices, circuits, or systems developed through electronics.

Is the / used as a and/or?

Or are they saying the optical sights may be electronic?

Edited by the duck of death

Yes you can use a laser sight in Open division. I don't know of anyone that does because the the dot on top of the gun is a lot easier to find than the dot 25 yds away. I seem to remember there was talk about using both, on for example a low light stage. Don't remember for sure the result but I think it was whatever was on the gun at the start of the match had to stay on the gun. They used the same rule to say no lights on guns except in Open Division.

I side mounted a Beamshot laser on my Open gun and sighted it to the same point as my

Docter dot at 25 yds. Used it for night/low light matches. Worked great---on the short

stages I found myself just looking over the top of the gun and using only the laser.

Would be pretty much worthless for a daylight target, and probably quite a bit slower

than a regular dot sight.

Bill

We had a few shooters use them for our local steel match which goes until well after dark. It was kind of interesting to watch them and see how sometimes they overswung on transititions, wobbled and just in general jerked and twitched while shooting. I don't think I would use one in a match but I could see how they would make intersting training aids.

-ld