Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio 38 Super Magazines for Caspian 9mm?

rz317

Before Caspian Hi-Cap .40 mags were available, I had successfully modified several Tanfoglio .40 and 10mm mags. The modification was quite easy. Has anyone tried doing the same with Tanfoglio mags in 9mm? The factory Tanfoglio 170mm big sticks are only listed for "38 Super Rimless". The factory length tubes are available in both 9mm and Super. I'm wondering if there is any difference between the two. I'm thinking about buying one of the factory length Super mags and experimenting with it to see if 9mm will indeed work with it before I shell out the money for one of the big sticks. But, if anyone has already tried this, please let me know if it didn't work and save me the time and money.

Thanks,

Ryan Zamberlan

Before Caspian Hi-Cap .40 mags were available, I had successfully modified several Tanfoglio .40 and 10mm mags. The modification was quite easy. Has anyone tried doing the same with Tanfoglio mags in 9mm? The factory Tanfoglio 170mm big sticks are only listed for "38 Super Rimless". The factory length tubes are available in both 9mm and Super. I'm wondering if there is any difference between the two. I'm thinking about buying one of the factory length Super mags and experimenting with it to see if 9mm will indeed work with it before I shell out the money for one of the big sticks. But, if anyone has already tried this, please let me know if it didn't work and save me the time and money.

Thanks,

Ryan Zamberlan

Hi Ryan,

I was going to buy a Tanfoglio open gun in 9mm. Those 'in the know' advised me that 38 super was a better choice. Although I didn't believe them, I ended up with a 38 super because I couldn't find a 9mm Gold Team available for purchase.

Out of curiosity, I loaded up the 38 super mags with 9mm. It seemed the tapered round is not very friendly with the feed lip angle/spacing and follower. They stacked up very poorly, and the 'rims' hung up on each other and the rounds flopped around a lot. I even tried to feed them into my gun (which should have worked). Every round jammed, nose high. I tried both the 140 and 170mm mags.

Maybe you could tweak the feed lips and get it to work. I know of one guy I met online with a 9mm Gold Team that had a full set of functional magazines. His screen name is ReyesR. I think his 140mm mags were Tanfoglio 9mm spec, and his big stick was home-made (welded).

It sounds like your best bet is to buy and test a 9mm mag from Tanfoglio. If you get it working, find someone to cut and and weld a couple together.

Also, the other option would be to switch to 38 TJ. I think it is a 9mm round without the taper, so you can ream your current 9mm to take it.

Edited by Jeff686

I had a good buddy order one of those mags for his Open Caspian gun. He ordered it from a guy in France. When it comes in...I'll see if he wants to report on it. (There is the fact that he has been waiting on that mag for about 3 years now. It got lost in the mail. :rolleyes: )

I use a Fred Craig welded big stick in my Caspian. It holds 25 rounds of .38 super. The magazine was built in 1993.

I think the go to guy for these welded big sticks now is Jim Anglin. It might not be cheap but there is a lot of work involved and I'm sure you would save yourself a headache.

Enjoy

Marty

A-7424

Hey Folks :roflol:

Ive been using TZ mags in my Caspian 40 S&W for a long time I order them from EAA,

havent tried one of the 170 TZ mags cause Iusually just make em for the Caspian open guns,

some guys ruin the TZ mags by messing with the mag catch hole/slot , the proper way is to

make the top of the mag look just like a caspian Mag, Just take the material off to match it up

go slow cause a Caspian frame needs the top of the mag to hold the mag in place , DONT

TAKE OFF THE TAPS INSIDE THE FRAME! You will end up with a ruined frame.

As far as in the present day Caspian 40 S&W mags are really a nice set up and work really well

right out of the package,Bevin Grams is making a spring and follower set up for the TZ

style mags and works well in the new Caspian mag for you all that want an extra round,

myself I dont and forcing that extra round in any mag will /could start pushing the bevel out

of the top of the mag and mess up the feeding. :angry2::blink:

Jim/Pa

Sailors :goof::devil:

• 1 year later...