Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange But True

THS

A friend and I are getting ready for some practice today and we decide to shoot some drills first. He comes back with a puzzled look on his face, after 60 shots at about 7 to 10 yards, and I don't say anything. :unsure:

We start checking poppers at 40 yards, and his G35 is shooting like 5 FOOT groups. No kidding, we change angles to be sure these are not deflections, and sure as heck, that aint. :blink::wacko: I take a mag from him and bang away with my G35. Dead on, band and clang on demand. :unsure:

Then he explains the puzzled look from before; he has what he thinks are doubles that are really tumbling bullets! At 7 yards they were still A's and the occasional C, at 40 plus they are WAY out there.

The data: Factory ammo, winchester ranger 165's first, then Speer Gold dot 165's, which are also sending one into lala land too. (FYI In my gun, everything's OK) The barrel has 23k rounds on it, and has never seen a reload of any type. We swap his barrel into my gun and I get 2 in 15 that are out there, as in D's at 25 yds. His gun with same barrel was more like 5 out of 15.

Looks like well over half are not going in straight. Summer blast is exactly a week away. :(

Someone tell me the answer PLEASE!

Tom :unsure:

Tom,

What happens when you swap your barrel into his gun? Is the frame cracked? Or the locking Block? Anything look funky where the feet engage the locking block? How's lock-up in the slide? Any funky parts in this gun?

No funky parts. Extened mag release, JP paddle on a Glock part from what I can tell. Lighning Strike magwell. I've watched this gun run for a couple of thousand rounds and never saw anything like this before. Then again, we have been shooting 20 and in on a steel facility, and guessing the misses were us....

No visible cracks. Feet and locking lug look OK considering the wear.

BarSto might be OK, except there is no way it will be ready for The Summer Blast.

I'd check for slide crackes...locking block...etc... (try to get some magnification).

Brownells just started to carry the KKM G35 barrels. Order Monday morning before noon Central Time with second day UPS ($12.50 instead of $7.25)

- check the crown of the current barrel too

- any lead build-up?

I experienced a similar problem before with a club gun. I couldn't even hit an IPSC target at 15 metres.

To cut a very long story short, when using a magnifying glass we found a tiny burr at the muzzle end of the barrel, which was causing the bullets to deflect and tumble. We have no idea how the burr was created but when we replaced the barrel, everything went back to normal.

I suggest you try your barrel in your buddy's gun.

At a club match today: Master class shooter shooting a stage almost all two alphas comes to the last array ---- 3 U.S. poppers at about 15 yards. He needs two mags to get them all to fall. After more than an hour of farting around, during which we notice that the barrel hood is severely rounding off where it locks up into the slide and that the locking block is starting to curve, another shooter discovers a crack in the slide. In the space of a couple of shots that G17 went from shooting to point of aim to shooting ten inches left at 15 yards. And the summer blast is a week away.....

Another of my airplane fixes for gun problems:

If all else fails, try to find a dye penetrant kit (good) or somewhere you can get the gun magnafluxed (better). Either process can reveal cracks that aren't immediately visible to the naked eye. You might be able to find either process at some more sophisticated machine shops. Failing that, a well-equipped airport service station is your next best bet.