Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting a STI Edge from a 45 to a 40

71Commander

I searched (changing calibers, caliber conversion) the site looking for some info on changing my STI Edge to a 40 from a 45 and can't find what I'm looking for.

Can this be done? Is it something major (expense wise) and who does it?

If this can be accomplished, can the 45 mags be adapted to shoot the 40's?

Thanks in advance, Tucker.

You will need to change the slide (because the breach face needs to match the caliber choice) and everything related to the top end. Not cheap. Your .45 mag tubes can be tuned to work with the .40.

For the price difference between a used .45 Edge and a used .40 Edge it might be a lot cheaper and easier to sell your .45 and buy a used .40. It'll probably be a minimum of $400.00 to convert the gun, new slide new bbl. And that is not including the gunsmithing and fitting that will be required.

A top end is going to run you $1000 or so, that is a long way toward another Edge in 40. I personally wouldn't do it, and wouldn't recommend that anyone else does it. You will end up with $2500+ in a ~$1500 gun.

For the price difference between a used .45 Edge and a used .40 Edge it might be a lot cheaper and easier to sell your .45 and buy a used .40. It'll probably be a minimum of $400.00 to convert the gun, new slide new bbl. And that is not including the gunsmithing and fitting that will be required.

+1