Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing new trigger in 2011 STI

redwoods

I installed an infinity alum/titanium trigger in my STI 2011. It was too tight where the trigger shoe came in contact with the receiver, just before it came into the trigger guard area, inserting it from the rear.

I ended up taking off some material above and below the trigger slot in the grip.

I know you should work on/file the part that is the least expensive. Should I have filed the trigger shoe instead of the grip?

What about if the grip is a single stack 1911 that is alum or steel?

Randy

The SV trigger doesn't fit very well in an STI grip, and you need to move some material to get it to move like it should. I usually do some on the grip to straighten it out and and the rest on the trigger shoe.

There is some variation in the trigger slot of the plastic grips, so SV makes the trigger shoe slightly oversized so that it can be fitted tight to almost any grip. I have never had to remove extreme amounts, usually not much more than slightly rounding the corners and a small amount off the top and bottom. Better to need some metal removed, that to have a loose fitting trigger.

With Single Stack frames, all bets are off.

If you wanna change the STI trigger with a SVI trigger you can get some trouble.

The SVI trigger bow is lightly longer than the STI trigger bow. So often happen that the half catch cock dont works (its dangerous for safety). The solution are 3:

1 - dismount the original SVI trigger bow and substitute it with a STI trigger bow

2 - file the sear legs where it touch the bow

3 - use a SVI sear.

About your question.... for me if you take decision to use forever the SVI trigger you can file the grip. Instead if you foresee to come back to the STI trigger its better to file the trigger shoe.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...
I installed an infinity alum/titanium trigger in my STI 2011. It was too tight where the trigger shoe came in contact with the receiver, just before it came into the trigger guard area, inserting it from the rear.

I ended up taking off some material above and below the trigger slot in the grip.

I know you should work on/file the part that is the least expensive. Should I have filed the trigger shoe instead of the grip?

What about if the grip is a single stack 1911 that is alum or steel?

Randy

I usually take the trigger put between fingers and sand it on a flat surface on some sand paper. When thats done then I polish.