Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super/9x22 in SAME gun

Jeffro

I am not sure I am in the correct area of the forum......... if not, I apologize, but figured you folks would know.  I have been communicating with Benny Hill about building me a STI.  I love .38 Super, but have been told by many that 9x22 is the way to go.  Benny says he can build a gun that will handle either cartridge with NO CHANGES.  I have absolute faith in him, and if he says it is so, I am sure it is.  That is not my problem, I am just ignorant of the facts.  Are the .38 Super and 9x22 the same external dimensions?  They both seat on the case mouth, so if someone could educate me, I would be appreciative.  

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

9x23???

38 super/9x23 have the same OAL..but the the 9x23 is tapered where the 38 super is straight walled...I have shot super in my 9x23 and 9x23 in my super..only issues I have run into is 9x23 brass that has been fired a lot, won't chamber in super..and you may need to adjust the extractor little when changing as the case rims are different...

There will be folks out there that will tell you not too..but so far I have had no troubles doing this..

oohh booyy...I haven't measured factory 38 super in long time...I think WIN silvertip is about 1220-1250 for the 125gr HP..WIN 9x23 silvertip runs about 1400-1450 for factory...but with IPSC reloads you will run them about the same..you may use a little less powder in WIN9x23 brass as it is thicker..right now I am shooting 115gr bullet in 9x23 brass with about 8.6 3n37 for a 168PF

EERW,

Thanks so much for the info.  I now must sit down and DECIDE just what I am doing.  Now that I am aware of the "interchangeability" of the two cartridges, it makes it a "no brainer".  I don't have to decide BETWEEN  9x23 or .38 Super!!  

Is this a great life, or what!!!!!  Thanks again.  If there is anything else I should know about interchanging these two cartridges in the same gun, please post it.......... I really ENJOY having TEN fingers and TWO hands, and don't want to loose any of them!!

Jeff

Benny,

In the guns you build that use 9x23 and .38 Super, do you use a "standard" type extractor or an Aftec?

Jeff

(Edited by Jeffro at 10:57 am on Jan. 31, 2003)

Benny,

Sounds great.  I have heard absolutely nothing but great feedback about you and your work.  I will be getting in touch with you soon to talk some serious business!!!  Thanks for your patience.

Jeff

Guys --- I shoot 9x19 in a STI .38 Super five inch bull barrel, iron sights, Aftec extractor (Limited minor), the same gun/slide with a 5.5 inch barrel & triple chamber comp (steel/fun shoots) and in my Glock 19. I use brass interchangeably and load everything with Dillon .38 Super dies and a #5 (38 Super) shell plate on my Dillon 650.

I only load for a 140 power factor but have experienced zero difficulties with this combination in the last four or five years.

Rich,

You shoot 9x19 in a .38 Super barrel and use the .38 Super extractor?????  Do you ever shoot 9x23 out of the same barrel/extractor combo, and how did it run?

Excuse my ignorance...... trying to digest all this info.  I have always been a .45 acp and .38 Super shooter.  I am NEW to the 9x23 concept(s) and interchangeability and trying to figure out what is what.  Does the 9x19 use the same extractor(s) as the 9x23?  Does the 9x19 have the same case dimensions EXCEPT for length?

Thanks for helping educate me.

Jeff

Duane,

Thanks for the clarification.  I intend to attempt to fire 9x23 in my (basically stock) .38 Super, 5-inch Colt this next week for the first time.  Should I change the recoil spring, and if so, to what weight?  What are the chances that my .38 Super extractor will work with the 9x23 as-is.  It is currently working well with the .38 Super round.  

Thanks to all for the information.  

Jeff

Jeffro --- I use an Aftec extractor for a 38 Super in my five inch STI limited gun that I shoot 9x19 ammo in --- the very same ammo that I use in my Glock 19. Also, the slide on my limited gun is an SV interchangeable breechface model with a 40 caliber breechface. I'm having a 38 Super barrel made for my Glock 20 (10mm.) that may or may not be able to use 9x19 in --- I'll post to the list when I get it. Right now, cycling by hand, a full mag of 9x19 through my Glock 20 (with 10mm barrel in place), the brass kinda dribbles out; using Super brass it flings it out pretty good. Won't know for sure 'til I get the new barrel as to how it will work.