Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which JP trigger?

burntcrispy

Looking at getting the JP trigger. Do most people get the full Fire control kit (ie trigger, hammer, and pins) or get just the trigger and springs? Any advantage/disadvantage between the two?

My goal is a light, crisp trigger with maximum reialiblilty, and least chance of getting light primer strikes.

Thanks.

I install JPs for a bunch of folks here.

I try to use the stock hammer with the correct pin size JP trigger.

I use the factory trigger spring for a better/faster return and the yellow JP hammer spring.

When used with the factory heavy hammer you still get a good hard FP hit and decent reliability with a trigger that will give you as low as .12 splits.

I have one in my earlier Colt that has now had two barrels and have not had to adjust it or had any misfires with 8100 rounds of South African Surplus or any other ammo. That trigger is just a tad over 2#....

Edited by Mick

Both are good triggers.....but keep in mind the drop in and for that matter ALL drop in's are for the mass's They all have a little take up and a little over travel, and I believe the least you can get them set up at is about 3.5#(?).

That being said.....the JP (if you are mechanically inclinded) fire control, not the drop in, can be set up for a wide range of applications. Custom fit to your needs and is by far the most robust single stage trigger out there.

-----OOPS (edit)....you were'nt even talking about the drop in. In that case, spend the money and get the complete set up. The hammer is lighter, and polished already for you. A std hammer with the yellow springs may or may not be reliable.....the low mass hammer with the yellow springs is about as close to as reliable for ignition as a std hammer with the std spring.

Edited by TRUBL

Looking at getting the JP trigger. Do most people get the full Fire control kit (ie trigger, hammer, and pins) or get just the trigger and springs? Any advantage/disadvantage between the two?

My goal is a light, crisp trigger with maximum reialiblilty, and least chance of getting light primer strikes.

Thanks.

I have installed the complete JP kit on many rifles, including my own.

My oldest one is 4 years old and has had many rounds down range.

I would suggest the complete set up with hammer and pins. It comes with a video as well and is easy to install.

I have fired many wolf and military surplus, as well as federal and a lot of my own reloads without any light primer hits.

complete kit

I have 2 - one I did and on done by JP

The one I did is nice but the one done by JP is amazing.

My recommendation is to send your lower to JP and have them install it. It worth every penny. If not JP, then send to Benny Hill @ Triangle Shooting Sports.

You might save a couple of $'s DYI and if you are the kind of person who just likes to do it and learn it that is cool, I'm the same way but if this is a competition gun, I'd have an expert do it. A plinker gun, DYI.

The JP installed setup is an excellent way to go. Current prices are $220 including return shipping. I had mine back in less than 2 weeks. I cost $40 more than the parts alone, but it works perfect with no hassle.

Doug