Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New S&W 617

Bruce

Got the little 10 shot in, real nice pistol.

DA seems real heavy. Would like to send it to someone to get a tune-up and fiber optic front sight installed. Recommendations?

Also, what holster are you guys shooting from with the 617?

Thanks

Edited by Bruce

DA seems real heavy. Would like to send it to someone to get a tune-up and fiber optic front sight installed. Recommendations?

Thanks

Anyone can smooth the action. Maybe you can yourself. There is very little that should be done, IMO, to the weight of the pull (maybe a slight bend in the mainspring). Because of the vagaries of .22 ammunition, excessive lightening of the action becomes problematical.

A fiber optic is another matter. There are lots of threads here on the subject. I assume your front sight is pinned? Any gunsmith can handle that.

I use an old Safariland 002 with mine for much of my practice. Unless you have a specific application in mine, this is more than good enough

I suppose what I am saying is that a big name gunsmith is not necessary.

Edited by underlug

Went through mine and stoned/deburred lots of stuff, you can lighten the trigger a bit with the screw that hit the mainspring under the grip but be wary since you might get light strikes. After cleaning it again and stripping it down S&W woulc have did a better job chamfering the barrel end in front of the cylinder but figure in another 10k rounds it will be smoothed over and accuracy will surely improve.

For trails or informal IDPA practice I have a Bianchi 7L for a K frame to match the barrel profile and as for speedloader carriers I will more than likely use PVC ones.

I would recommend doing very little to it. It is the nature of .22lr as mentioned. If you know your way around the guts a lighter rebound spring is good, and maybe a slightly lighter mainspring, but the stock one is good. You can stone the parts if you like, but that is nothing putting several thousand rounds through it will not do, easy enough on a 10 shot .22 :cheers: . Nice piece, have fun.

Thanks

Bruce what state are you in?

art