Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Production/idpa Guns

ErikW

I'm used to reloading 140mm magazines from Safariland holders and I found last night I need to adapt my technique for the shorter Glock magazines of my Production rig.

When I grab a mag, I put my index finger along the front of the mag, a common technique. I've grown accustomed to putting the tip of my finger on the top of the mag holder. However, with shorter magazines, this puts very little magazine in the palm of my hand. Then I'm balancing the mag in my palm, randomly steering it into the mag well, blowing reloads left and right. It's like balancing a broomhandle on your palm, trying to hit a spot on your ceiling.

The shorter mag technique requires that I get my index finger down along the mag holder. This puts more of my finger on the magazine and lets me guide it into the mag well easier and more reliably.

I've never practiced with 140mm mags but sometimes I still get that same problem you have with my G19 mags. I'm thinking of cutting down the pouches to expose more of the mags. Worse, in some instances when really pushing it, I grab the pouch. :(

Skateboard tape on the basepads of my Glock ten rounders has made my reloads more consistent. I grab the mag better from the start, and am less likely to bobble it or fail to seat it. Basically the tape locks the mag into the off hand....

I'm thinking of cutting down the pouches to expose more of the mags. Worse, in some instances when really pushing it, I grab the pouch.

mcoliver, before cutting the pouches, you might want to have a look at Safariland 771 single mag pouches that are open at the front: they will easily let you put your index finger along the front of the mag.

You can find them in our host's store.

I have the 771 and was thinking of modifying it so the front portion looks like the 773. It's in this area that I seem to keep grabbing. I'm also experimenting with a "light grab" on the mags. I seem to grip the mag too much (pinching the pouch lips), probably from the cheap leather pouches I used to practice with (the pouches felt like the mags were glued inside so I had to really yank it out.) Whoops, sorry for the drift...

mcoliver, ok, now I got a visual clue of what you meant.

Perhaps, you could try to cut a 773 model open a-la 771, to get the lateral benefit from the 773 design, and the frontal benefit from the 771? I suppose this procedure would be better than cutting a 771 lower, because the retaining screws on the back are less spaced on a 773 than on a 771 (thus, lower overall height for the pouch).

If you do so, keep an eye on leaving some lips to the front to help retain the mag, and, please, do keep us posted with your results.

Erik, this might work for you too, having more of the mag exposed?

Well there's theory and there's practice. The above technique works well for that first magazine. However, second and later magazine pouches are stacked tightly behind so I can't get my hand deep and my index finger down.

I had a tragi-comic reload during a run-n-gun yesterday. I could hear circus music playing. After about three seconds I cut bait and went for a different magazine.

In hindsight, silicone spray on Glock mags may help them drop freely but does make them hard to handle, especially with bug repellant on your hand.

One thing I do is spray Armor All or silicone spray inside the mag well of the gun, and inside the mag holders, but never on the mags themselves. Seems to help some.