Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Glock and New to the forum

Shaun

I have been reading this forum for a couple months and used a ton of info from here and another local (Maine) forum to decide which gun I was going to buy. I should have it in hand soon. After serious conscideration of several guns and cal.'s I decided to go with the Glock 35 as I feel it will give me a lot of options in which to compete. I am very new to shooting for anything other than hunting and occassional plinking.

I intend to shot it as is for a while and spend time getting connected with the gun, etc. but will eventually will want to make some upgrades depending on what I want to focus competetively on. I will likley end up wanting to shoot limited 10 or limited, but want to be able to compete in some IDPA events also so i have to keep that in mind.

I am wondering when i am ready to have some gunsmithing done, who comes highly recomended for Glocks. When I figure out excatly what I want to do and have done to the gun I will want quality work done and will likely not want to try to pull it off my self.

Thanks for being a resource to me in my decsion making process and with any recomendations on quality gunsmiths.

Shaun

Welcome to the forums Shaun. There are many top IDPA shooters here as well as USPSA, and we're all more than happy to answer any questions that you might have. As far as gunsmiths...that really depends on what you are looking to have done. There are a handful of modifications that you can do on your own to tune your Glock trigger, as well as great drop in options VANEK TRIGGER LINK. Other than that, I maintain that you will get the most out of your money buying a set of good sights and ammo.

I agree, there are some very easy upgrades you can do yourself. One of the many reasons why I chose to get a Glock over some of the other manufactures, you can do almost anything to these firearms without costing alot. Easy first upgrades are the slide's guide rod and spring. The front sight is pretty simple to replace, trigger work, etc.

I have seen the above mentioned trigger kits. I know I will want to do something with sights, I like fiber optic type stuff. I would have no idea where to begin as far as guide rods and springs. You guys may be giving me too much credit ;) But thanks and thanks for the welcome. I will definetely be taking advantage of the info available here.

Shaun

Welcome to the forum. As far as sights, I have Dawson Precision Fiber optic front and Heinie rear on my 34 and 35. I like the Dawson, because it fits the slide better and does not hang over the recess area on top of the slide.

Edited by prreed10

Welcome to the finest shooting community in the world.

A tip of the hat on you gun choice. Well done.

As mentioned, sights and a big pile of ammo for the time being. Grip tape too, maybe.

Jim M

Welcome, Shaun. I read way more than I post. There's tons of great info here. It must sink in subconsciously, because I'm shooting (slightly) faster with much better accuracy. Just kept telling myself to watch the sights lift. :)

Edited by mdstihl

Shaun,

Welcome !

IMHO that's an advantage to the Glock platform , most drop in parts really do drop in , and fit well .

Unless you have some radical mods in mind , pretty much anybody can do about anything themselves without spending $ on special tools .

( right after I thought this I remembered you will need a special socket to install sights , less than $5 , sometimes included with the sights )

Travis F.

This is all very encouraging and reinforces my choice.

I want to shoot production for a while, but will likely want to make modifications which will take me to limited or limited 10 at some point.

What would you all recomend for grip tape, I have heard all is not created equal.

How far can I go with modifications and still be abe to shoot IDPA also?

Shaun

What about barrels, I know I can change them out, and i need a new one to shoot lead inside, is my understanding. Any thoughts is this area.

I want to do this right...

+1 for TruGrip. I use a Dawson front sight and a Heinie rear...an excellent combination, although many people like the Sevigny sights as well.

I would suggest just shooting your new Glock as is for a while before you go nuts with modifications. You can't make a Glock more reliable, but by over-modifying you can make it significantly less reliable.

What about barrels, I know I can change them out, and i need a new one to shoot lead inside, is my understanding. Any thoughts is this area.

I want to do this right...

Shaun. I'm sure your factory barrel will serve you at least as well as mine has served me. Aftermarket barrels can be

finicky using lead bullets. Their are dimensional issues. Don't worry about "upgrading" a great gun. Just shoot it.

Spend $50.00-$80.00 on Heinies or Warren Sevigny sights and shoot matches. Be safe. Have fun!

Jim M