Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium Cylinder for 625

8ring

Advantages:

1. Eliminates peening at the cylinder stop notches that is sometimes seen on stainess cylinders (and I believe largely caused by rough gun handling practices).

2. Because the Ti cylinder is lighter in weight, it reduces the shooter's perception of the cylinder rotating on its axis. This may arguably reduce DA trigger pull, but the difference is pretty minute.

3. The gun will feel lighter. This can be an advantage, and allow snappier transitions from target to target.

Disadvantages:

1. Some (but not all) of the Ti cylinders are sticky.

2. The gun will feel lighter. This can also be a disadvantage by reducing absorption of felt recoil.

3. Cost.

For most shooters, they're not really worth the cost. For those who have the peening problem, they're worth every penny.

I had Apex Tactical build a 625 for me w. a Ti Cylinder -- never had a problem, other than being difficult to clean. I had it duracoated, so that I could clean it easier, and ended up w. sticky cylinders.

I've been very, very happy w. that gun.

I got a Ti cyl a few weeks ago for my 625PC that took a trip back to smith for a new cylinder after 900 rounds. i have not fired the gun with the new stainless cyl, i knew i was going to be a Ti convert. I must beat the piss out of the trigger or the stainless is very soft. whatever the case, if i want a 625 that holds up more than a few months i need to install Ti. Now i need another Ti cyl for my back up gun.

Advantages:

1. Eliminates peening at the cylinder stop notches that is sometimes seen on stainess cylinders (and I believe largely caused by rough gun handling practices).

2. Because the Ti cylinder is lighter in weight, it reduces the shooter's perception of the cylinder rotating on its axis. This may arguably reduce DA trigger pull, but the difference is pretty minute.

3. The gun will feel lighter. This can be an advantage, and allow snappier transitions from target to target.

Disadvantages:

1. Some (but not all) of the Ti cylinders are sticky.

2. The gun will feel lighter. This can also be a disadvantage by reducing absorption of felt recoil.

3. Cost.

For most shooters, they're not really worth the cost. For those who have the peening problem, they're worth every penny.

Mike when you say "rough gun handling practices" what do you mean?

Rick

Made a call to S&W spoke with a rep, they suggested cleaning the cylinder thoroughly and that it could be some roughness that may need polishing out. They recommended cleaning first then test firing, they sent a fedex label just in case.

I had polished (Steel) cylinders before, so I cleaned and polished the Ti cylinders, so far so good, will shoot full match this saturday. I ahve a Model 28 with the steel cylinder and there is a difference you can feel between the two, both have had an action job, though the Model 22 is more radical, bobbed and skeletonized hammer. I can really feel the heft of the steel cylinder in the 28.