Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17C - I want more gas!

UW Mitch

I just traded into a Glock 17C - the previous owner had a second complete top end with a Storm Lake barrel. I shot it first with the Storm Lake barrel, and then with the 17C barrel. Shooting Federal 95 soft tip I was relatively impressed with how much the comp was working to get me right back on target. But I don't know what the velocity is on the ammo I was shooting.

I'd like a little more gas moving. I've got 115gr West Coast and 124gr Montana Gold and 124gr Xtreme (the newer version of the old West Coast). Would it be correct that given the same power factor a 115gr moving faster will produce more gas pressure/flow for the comp?

I want to cook up some slight hotter rounds for the 17C than my normal gamer steel loads. Typical load is 124gr Xtreme with 4.4gr Titegroup. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mitch

Power Pistol is a good one, as is Silhouette.

Have you shot the Xtreme bullets out of the factory barrel? They tumbled at 7 yards out of my G17 no matter what I did, and shot a 20" group/pattern at 25 yards with 2 or 3 out of 10 not even hitting a metric target....

The trick is to time the powder burning so when the bullet is exiting the barrel it has maximized the

gas in other words you want as much and long of a burning cycle you can get without having a burn still going after the bullet has exited. Generally a lighter bullet mixed with the right burning powder is a key.

I use the Vitouri(sp?) powders for that example:

In my 5" 38 super with no comp I use 3N37. However, when I go to a comp barrel I use 3N38.

You will probably just have to experiment with powders burning at different rates.

I have literally run loads so hot that I would get negative barrel flip off sandbags! Trust me you won't find those loads in the recommended loads. Actuallly they were kind of scary although pressure signs were "almost" acceptable.

Actuallly they were kind of scary although pressure signs were "almost" acceptable.

You don't want to know what the pressure is doing to get to the point where you see "pressure signs" <_<

The answer is slower burning powder, lighter bullet - you're essentially looking for a SAAMI spec length major 9 type of load, so starting at the lightest end of the Open gun loads would be a good guess. You could also look at 3N38 as a possible player - slow and dense.

Actuallly they were kind of scary although pressure signs were "almost" acceptable.

You don't want to know what the pressure is doing to get to the point where you see "pressure signs" <_<

The answer is slower burning powder, lighter bullet - you're essentially looking for a SAAMI spec length major 9 type of load, so starting at the lightest end of the Open gun loads would be a good guess. You could also look at 3N38 as a possible player - slow and dense.

Agree - during the brief period when I was shooting 9Supercomp (9x23) I used a compressed load of V V N105 - it was so dense and slow that I was unable to produce any pressure signs at all even with pistol primers.

Apparently, N105 is very close in burn rate to 3N38. Use a light bullet and make the OAL as long as possible.