Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas O-ring Life

AH6IP

Shooting a Rem 1100 20 ga, with a brand new gas o-ring. After apprx. 100 rnds through it, I noticed during cleaning the o-ring appears to be chewed up somewhat. What's up with that?

What the heck were yu doing cleaning a Rem. 1100 ?? Just shoot that sucker until it starts to jam and then pour another quart of oil in it . You probably just dont have near enough oil in that sucker to keep it from wearing out the o-ring .

By the way , were might i find the o-ring on an 1100 to see if mine even exists anymore ??

Well, i like cleaning mine, and it was lubed plenty good, just about right. Ya know, if ya pull your barrel off, and take the piston assembly off, you'll find that little sucker just ahead of your gas ring assmbly, assuming you still got one!!

In all seriousness, I'd like to know what causes this. Them little suckers are pricey anyway. Maybe it was a bad batch from Nu-line(the makers of the ring). Heavy sigh.

Strange, my 1100 doesn't seem to do that at all. I have had the same ring in for years and I finally replaced it just because.

Are there any burrs around the gas ports or something like that? The thing is the seal doesn't move on the tube or anything, it just sits there and keeps the gas from escaping out the front instead of acting on the action bar.

It would seem that if there was not a good fit where the gas seal contacs the barrel then that could cause problems. If some gas was getting by it would chew up the ring where it was blowing by. How does the radiused area look behind the gas ports? Sometimes that area is rough or caked with carbon and might be causing accelerated wear on the ring.

I postulate that the threads of the mag tube cause more wear (as the ring rides over them every time you clean and reassemble) than shooting does. If you really want to, you could chase the corners of the threads (it is a square-section thread) to knock the sharp edges off. Just be careful you don't go voerboard.

You can do a partial cleaning, without removing the barrel. Just wipe what you can get to and re-lube. We'd sometimes do that at SC, to keep the gun running without disturbing the zero for slug use.

Just an added thought.

The gas ring on my 1100 looked chewed up but after long deliberations trying to figure out why... it turned out to be hardened carbon deposits.

Some rubbing and some Hoppes made it look like new.

Thanks fellas. Ya know, the one I replaced had been in there since 1978(year of manufacture), with only a small wear spot. It could be I did what Pat mentioned without noticing, since I had cleaned it before without it being trashed. Lesson learned. Gracias!