Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where Do You Put That Mag?

Larrys1911

Been playing with this a little bit and getting a little better with it.

It seems to be getting prevalent in IDPA again.

So do you put it in an outside pocket of your vest (Seems like a bad move)

Stuff it in your waistband?

Stick it in your front pants pocket?

or somewhere else entirely?

Any hints on speeding the process up?

Larry P

Depends what pants I'm wearing. I don't ever use a vest because I don't want to sweep the vest and then try to use it as well. For me that is just one more disaster waiting to happen; with my luck it would get hung up and the pocket wouldn't be where I expect.

Using BDU style pants I use the left cargo pocket.

Using 5.11 RR's I usually use the left front pocket.

Hitting the waistband for me has always taken too much coordination, for me using a pocket is faster.

For me the easiest way to speed things up is exactly what Scooter said have big easy to hit pockets.

I often use my vest pocket for tac loads. My secondary stash point is the waistband. The waistband is much faster to me for retention reloads since it is basically on the way to the next magazine.

I would like to go to the waistband more often as it seems faster and is easy to re-access if needed, but I tend to have problems with the magazine falling out when I re-extend/present the pistol. They are pretty tough on dropped magazine procedurals in Houston so the little bit more time it takes to go to the vest pocket tends to be worth the extra security for me.

I haven't found a pants pocket that I can reliably hit when in the various kneeling positions. Even the vest pocket can give you trouble here.

So I guess for me there isn't a one size fits all approach.

I would like to go to the waistband more often as it seems faster and is easy to re-access if needed, but I tend to have problems with the magazine falling out when I re-extend/present the pistol. They are pretty tough on dropped magazine procedurals in Houston so the little bit more time it takes to go to the vest pocket tends to be worth the extra security for me.

Then they need to read the rule book. It's perfectly legal - i.e. no procedural penalty - if the magazine falls out after you've stowed it, as long as you did a good faith attempt to put it away. Jeez.

I haven't found a pants pocket that I can reliably hit when in the various kneeling positions. Even the vest pocket can give you trouble here.

What I do in situations like that - and I've won stages with this technique - is to stow the mag in the back of the waistband. When you're kneeling behind low cover, the back of your belt pulls away from your back and gives you a nice little pocket to drop the mag in.

I used to always dump it into the front pocket of mt RR5.11's but lately I've been playing with sticking it back in the pouch. Came in very handy Sunday where we had a stage where we were required to re-use our retained mag at the end.

What I do in situations like that - and I've won stages with this technique - is to stow the mag in the back of the waistband. When you're kneeling behind low cover, the back of your belt pulls away from your back and gives you a nice little pocket to drop the mag in.

That's a good idea - I'm going to try that one out.

I used to always dump it into the front pocket of mt RR5.11's but lately I've been playing with sticking it back in the pouch.

Well, good luck but personally I would never stick a partially loaded mag back in a mag pouch. Never. The problem is that, sooner or later - probably sooner - you're going to forget the mag is partially empty and just leave it in the pouch between stages. You're in the middle of the next stage, you do your reload, and after two more shots your slide locks back. Not a good thing.

I used to always dump it into the front pocket of mt RR5.11's but lately I've been playing with sticking it back in the pouch.

Well, good luck but personally I would never stick a partially loaded mag back in a mag pouch. Never. The problem is that, sooner or later - probably sooner - you're going to forget the mag is partially empty and just leave it in the pouch between stages. You're in the middle of the next stage, you do your reload, and after two more shots your slide locks back. Not a good thing.

That only happens once, ask me how I know.

;)

TSC

FWIW they are a GREAT "game tactic" Matt, all you have to do is figure out where you are better off doing them instead of SLR. I will be working on that next.

TL,

They are now Interchangeable. Should be in the new L?B.

Larry P