Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow Brain?

Ok, I shot a match yesterday and had something happen that I have never had happen before. The stage began with a box start and two sets of stacked targets with no-shoots covering up midways on the upper targets. Total of four targets at roughly 7 yards. Easy shots with any gun, but I was shooting my open blaster. On the start signal I had a decent draw but then the fun began. I literally shot these four targets so fast my mind could not process the shots. It was sorta like the shots were happening and my mind was strictly a spectator to the action, so much so in fact that I'm certain I left a few hundreths on the table leaving the box. My brain had not caught up with the fact that all eights shots were fired, time to move!

So my question is if anyone has noticed this and if so it is a phenomenem or a slow lead infested brain or possibly a sign of improvement from my lowly B status?

Ok, I shot a match yesterday and had something happen that I have never had happen before. The stage began with a box start and two sets of stacked targets with no-shoots covering up midways on the upper targets. Total of four targets at roughly 7 yards. Easy shots with any gun, but I was shooting my open blaster. On the start signal I had a decent draw but then the fun began. I literally shot these four targets so fast my mind could not process the shots. It was sorta like the shots were happening and my mind was strictly a spectator to the action, so much so in fact that I'm certain I left a few hundreths on the table leaving the box. My brain had not caught up with the fact that all eights shots were fired, time to move!

So my question is if anyone has noticed this and if so it is a phenomenem or a slow lead infested brain or possibly a sign of improvement from my lowly B status?

Your mind is the second thing that use loose control of as you get older. :blink::surprise:

:bow: Thats why I shoot is for moments like that :bow: Bottle it up and I will mail you check.

What I do to cultivate the "Time Within A Second" is just wind up my plan on a set of check points = like move after the hits on this target, reload after the hits on that one. If I am lucky it happens one time out of 10

Did you look at the splits latter? and was it really faster than you had ever gone before?

:bow: Thats why I shoot is for moments like that :bow: Bottle it up and I will mail you check.

What I do to cultivate the "Time Within A Second" is just wind up my plan on a set of check points = like move after the hits on this target, reload after the hits on that one. If I am lucky it happens one time out of 10

Did you look at the splits latter? and was it really faster than you had ever gone before?

I was not able to look at the splits or transitions, but it felt like an eight round Bill drill on four targets. My guess the splits were .11-.14 or at least that's what they felt like. I'm not trying to blow my own horn, just figure out why this happened and will it happen more as time goes on. Hell I don't even know how I did on that stage yet, the rest of it seemed normal speed.

I call that feeling 'autopilot', and it is really cool. For me there is one better, and it is like autopilot but everything slows down, details jump out, it is like autopilot but times ten in detail and ten times slower. My stage times go way down and points go way up when it happens.

Think about what precipitated that run, was it visualization, was it relaxation, was it confidence? If you can figure out what it is your mind needs to prepare for that type of run you can get there more often. I really believe that the preparation for getting there is different for us all, but it is really cool when it happens.

I literally shot these four targets so fast my mind could not process the shots.

Does that mean you didn't see the dot? Or that you did not know where the dot was all eight times the gun fired?

What did you hit? :)

I have had this happen, especially a lot on Bill Drills. On these runs I usually look for my hits on the paper, because I can't/don't follow the sight.

I try to avoid the feeling of not being in control as much as possible.

To me, it might be fun to do, to see if I can get some new imputs. But I basically hate pulling the trigger and not knowing where the bullet will go.

To answer you question:

I think it is the result of a combination of not paying attention to the sights and trying to go as fast as possible (the physical act of "trying to go fast").

Spook, yes I was seeing the dot clearly and the hits were excellent. It was more like while I was seeing the dot the shots were already happening. Maybe this occurrence was just a freak thing, I was thinking more like what Howard said "being on autopilot". Also hoping maybe it would happen more often, because when I left that array I knew I left 8 quality hits on the paper.

Spook, yes I was seeing the dot clearly and the hits were excellent. It was more like while I was seeing the dot the shots were already happening. Maybe this occurrence was just a freak thing, I was thinking more like what Howard said "being on autopilot". Also hoping maybe it would happen more often, because when I left that array I knew I left 8 quality hits on the paper.

Ah, that clears up a lot.

Man, that sounds pretty cool!

Suret his will happen more often, just don't look for it ;)

... is [it] a phenomenem or a slow lead infested brain or possibly a sign of improvement from my lowly B status?

Maybe just accept it. Notice it. Be aware of it. Remember the feeling of it. Not so sure you should try to put it into a box just yet...

:cheers: