Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forward Head Posture and Pistol Shooting

Gumby

I've got a bad back so I try to avoid the forward head posture as much as I can though out the day. But what I've noticed is that forward head postures are pretty common while shooting, including top shooters. It makes sense in that it lowers your eyes so that you don't have to raise the gun as high, and it brings your weight a bit forward.

Random google search pictures for "IPSC pistol shooting"

karl7a_jpg.jpg

300px-IPSCshooter.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/shahar.yanasov...661955493710226

The forward head posture seems like the way to shoot, but it's probably worthwhile to ensure that you're not retaining this posture during the rest of the day. A chronic forward head posture can reek all sorts of havoc on your neck and spine over time. Any opinions about posture, shooting, and general spinal health?

A PDF about shooting and posture:

http://www.issfnews.com/media/issfnewsmag/...CoachPistol.pdf

I find 'turtling' to the extreme to be counter-productive-- if I squinch down, I don't get as good vision on the dot track.

FWIW, Brian's book shows a lot more head-upright stance, so go with whatever works.

Start by correcting your brain and stop telling it "Bad Back" Its the same as asking for it.

A froward posture is how we are designed to operate in the "Predator Mode" As compared to head back for fall back mode.

Forward posture does not mean that the head has to -Tilt- forward What should happen is the nose and chin stay level with the ground and move out over the toes.

Every thing worth doing is "Nose over Toes". This keeps the eyes balanced in the eye socket center and lets them work the best. Its also called -Chin up- the air way to the lungs is more open that way too. if you drop your chin and nose the air is constricted and causes carbon dioxide to build up faster.

The brain is very powerful over the body be car-full what you tell it.

Alamo

I believe I can fly

I have a bad back also (2 broken facet joints in the lower lumbar from having a chair kicked out from under me when I was a kid). Try this:

Lean forward on the balls of your feet until you feel as if you will fall over, then simply rotate your hips back (the hip joint...not the spine) while keeping the knees slightly flexed. This will keep the wieght biased forward on the balls of the feet, the shoulders in front of the knees, and take the pressure off the spinal column. Think of it as pivoting from the hips without rounding the back over much.

It's very aggressive yet mobile, but protects the back.

Gumby,

There is no way to diagnos a "bad back" from afar...it's hard enough when you have the patient in front of you. I will tell you this: The vast majority of "bad backs" based on subjective complaints of pain are alleviated by strengthening the supporting muscles. Indeed, this is true even of "bad backs" based on objective medical findings. My advice is to find a competant, conservative orthopod who emphasizes the use of physical therapy. It might be even better if you can find a good physiotrist (basically a physical therapist with an MD). They can show you the exercises that will strengthen weak supporting muscles and you may (probably will) find that you can shoot comfortably with a head forward, aggressive stance.

BTW, historically, thirty years ago many shooters followed the Bullseye shooters in having the head upright and bringing the gun to the line of sight. Now, I think you will find that being somewhat out of vogue. The comment to avoid overdone "turtleing" is correct in pointing out that excess stress/tension tends to degrade shooting platforms.

One last suggestion: When you do your walking/running (you do exercise, right?), do about 25% of it backwards. Yes, backwards. This strengthens the lower paravertebles; the hip flexors; and really helps balance.

A-G

I think you would be better off with a more upright head position whenever possible. Low ports and such aside, you should always keep your head and neck in natural alignment. Look at TT and Max for instance. Comfortable and controlled. FWIW I have been know to have quite the "turtle" stance, but have since become much better.

post-5009-1205441077.jpg