Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Limited PF

us_shooter

Hello fellow Tanfoglio shooters. I need some help/advice. I chronoed some loads yesterday in my EAA Limited gun and am a little confused. My load was 180 grn Montana Gold bullet over 4.7 grns Titegroup OAL 1.180 crimped to .421.

According to what others have loaded this should be making Major, but it averages only 845 FPS! I am using an ALPHA Master chronograph, which is brand new. This load feels pretty stiff, but according to the chrono it's not. I placed the chrono about 6 feet in front of the table. Is the problem the chrono or the polygonal rifling or what?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW I posted this in the EAA forum because I wanted to go to folks using the same gun.

Six feet is really close. Your bullet is traveling slower than the speed of sound. You might be chrono'ing the shock wave from your shot instead of your bullet. Move your chrono back to 10-15 feet, give the shockwave time to dispurse.

Hello fellow Tanfoglio shooters. I need some help/advice. I chronoed some loads yesterday in my EAA Limited gun and am a little confused. My load was 180 grn Montana Gold bullet over 4.7 grns Titegroup OAL 1.180 crimped to .421.

According to what others have loaded this should be making Major, but it averages only 845 FPS! I am using an ALPHA Master chronograph, which is brand new. This load feels pretty stiff, but according to the chrono it's not. I placed the chrono about 6 feet in front of the table. Is the problem the chrono or the polygonal rifling or what?

With 4.6 gr Titegroup and the same bullet, I get 972 fps. That is with the chrony 10 feet from the muzzle. That is with a Match not a Limited. Don't think that should make much difference, but could be.

Edited by jmark308

Using the exact same load in Tanfoglio Limited and STI Limiteds... Makes Major in both (950-980fps). I'd try another Chronograph if the readings don't go up after moving the sensors a little further away.

My load was 180 grn Montana Gold bullet over 4.7 grns Titegroup OAL 1.180 crimped to .421.

Using the exact same load in Tanfoglio Limited and STI Limiteds... Makes Major in both (950-980fps). I'd try another Chronograph if the readings don't go up after moving the sensors a little further away.
My load was 180 grn Montana Gold bullet over 4.7 grns Titegroup OAL 1.180 crimped to .421.

I only run clays. but at 4.6 - 1.175 OAL - I hit perfect PF. I think think it could be the rifling but you may just have a slow barrel.

Leo

BTW I posted this in the EAA forum because I wanted to go to folks using the same gun.

I have a plain witness steel with a longslide upper that has a polygonal rifled barrel... I ran this exact combo out of my gun today with essentially the same results you were getting... I was getting an average of 887 fps; only difference was I was using MG CMJs. This barrel is just stupid slow it seems.

I varied the distance from the chrono from 5' to 20' without much change at all... I was getting more misreads at the greater distance, and pretty consistent results right up at the chrono.

Anyone else with a slow barrel?

C

And I thought that I was the only one. I have a second chrono now, and they both read the same. Looks as if I would have to blow the gun up to reach major PF.

Maybe I should put some Slide Glide on the rifling. just kidding.

So the gun you are shooting is a Elite Limited?..

Leo

And I thought that I was the only one. I have a second chrono now, and they both read the same. Looks as if I would have to blow the gun up to reach major PF.

Maybe I should put some Slide Glide on the rifling. just kidding.

Since the other Chrono confirmed the first have you had similar results on other pistols or even with this load in other pistols? I'd say try the 4.7 load in another 4.5-5" pistol and see if you are at or near the 950 speed. If it does hit that mark I'd say you've got a slow gun. If you see similar results to your Tanfoglio you can start analyzing your reloading process.

Edited by KSmoker

Yes, I am shooting an Elite Limited.

Well I have a number of elite limited in many calibers and never had a slow barrel but i am sure its possible. Do you have another powder to try? I either run N320 or Clays.. most of the time its clays though. I would give N320 a try, if you try clays start low and work up. I usually run 4.6 with 180gr Zeros and it makes about 168pf.

Leo

Just out of curiosity, I ran the same loads through my wife's Elite Match model. They are almost identical in velocity.

The Match model averages 850 fps.

The Limited model 853 fps.

So, I got to thinking.....maybe it's the bullet?

I went in the house and found some Masterblaster 180's that I've had for a while, dropped a 4.6 grn charge in them with OAL of 1.185, ran back outside and fired them across both chrono's.

The results were a lot different.

My average velocity was 952 fps which gives me a 171 pf!!!!!!!

Can somebody explain this?

Less powder, same weight bullet 100fps difference?

Just out of curiosity, I ran the same loads through my wife's Elite Match model. They are almost identical in velocity.

The Match model averages 850 fps.

The Limited model 853 fps.

So, I got to thinking.....maybe it's the bullet?

I went in the house and found some Masterblaster 180's that I've had for a while, dropped a 4.6 grn charge in them with OAL of 1.185, ran back outside and fired them across both chrono's.

The results were a lot different.

My average velocity was 952 fps which gives me a 171 pf!!!!!!!

Can somebody explain this?

Less powder, same weight bullet 100fps difference?

Well usually lead or moly coated bullets are faster with less charge. Like I said I run 4.6 clays with Zero FMJ 180 and 4.2 with Materblasters 180gr. You could try a different brand of bullets then MG because I load for my friends 40 match and we use pretty much the same loads no problem. I have yet to run MG bullets though in them. I am about to start running 121MGs in my super.

leo

Just wanted to post a follow-up to my previous post:

My barrel is damn slow... My last loads net 166.6PF for the following recipe:

1.165 OAL

5.0 grns titegroup

CCI primers

180grn MG CMJs

I just made up a batch with the following:

1.160 OAL

5.1 grns titegroup

CCI Primers

180grn MG CMJs

This is probably going to run me in the 167-168pf range which is pretty comfortable for me- It was about 48 degrees out when I chrono'd this last set, and they will just get faster as the weather gets hotter.

C

This slow barrel talk got wondering since I made 165.4 at A1 last year.

7.0 grains of Tru Blu 180 grain MG with WSP

Glock 35 - 1047 fps

Para P16 - 987 fps

Witness Steel - 945 fps

Same load,different results and all fairly new guns.

Are all Witness barrels Polygonal rifles????

What is a "slow gun" and what do you do to solve the problem????

Glock 35 - 1047 fps

Para P16 - 987 fps

Witness Steel - 945 fps

Why don't you try a different powder? N320 or Clays and see what happens?

leo

Glock 35 - 1047 fps

Para P16 - 987 fps

Witness Steel - 945 fps

Not all Witness are poly's: I have a steel 10mm upper with standard lands and grooves, but my 40 longslide upper is poly.

Leo, I am planning on picking up a pound of n320 soon to try... I have loaded some clays through it in the past, but as I wasnt using the gun for competition then I never got around to running it through a chrono.

Will report back with n320 or clays loads.

C

Updte

I finally fixed the problem.

I found someone with a gun that liked MG's and he happened to have a bunch of MasterBlaster's sitting around. The MasterBlaster's easily make PF in my gun.

Thanks alot guys for all your input, it has been a real learning experience for me.

Eddie

• 1 month later...

Wanted to ressurected this thread with an update... After shooting nearly 1k rounds through my "slow" barrel, I finally had the bright idea to mic some of the MG bullets I was loading. Luckily I had four left that I had not loaded... Duh: .399". Hence the slow barrel. I backed my load off and ran some new bullets through it. 5.0 gr titegroup under a 180gr MG CMJ gave me 178 pf! Yikes! I will be trying a more sedate load tonight!

C

Wanted to ressurected this thread with an update... After shooting nearly 1k rounds through my "slow" barrel, I finally had the bright idea to mic some of the MG bullets I was loading. Luckily I had four left that I had not loaded... Duh: .399". Hence the slow barrel. I backed my load off and ran some new bullets through it. 5.0 gr titegroup under a 180gr MG CMJ gave me 178 pf! Yikes! I will be trying a more sedate load tonight!

C

Don't be a girly-man!! Leave it at 178 and watch the steel cringe as you step into the box!

Congrats guy.... Glad you figured this one out. :cheers:

Edited by Neomet

Anyone else with a slow barrel?

Hi guys. I also shoot a 75 like yours. Mine is a CZ Standard IPSC model. They only came in .40 And, mine also has a slow barrel. It takes a little more pepper to make it to Major with my 75.

Don't be a girly-man!! Leave it at 178 and watch the steel cringe as you step into the box!

Congrats guy.... Glad you figured this one out. :cheers:

:D

Ha! The cool thing is after shooting the 100 rounds of 178 I loaded I discovered the extra little push didnt really hurt me much, timewise! I shot a Texas star at a match last weekend- usually I dont have any trouble with them, but this time I was off to a rough start. I was down to the last plate when I managed to shoot the whole target over. RESHOOT!!! :devil:

I have backed the load off, and it seems my barrel is still a tiny bit slower than your average elite- I need 4.9gr titegroup at 1.175 OAL to get 167pf.

In other reloading news, I tried a 25 round sample of MG 165gr bullets... I think I am going to pick up a hundred 165s and continue some load testing with them. I really liked how they recoiled in my gun. Anyone else out there running 165s?

C

Edited by Craigar45