Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I shoot 38super from my supercomp gun

redwoods

You will have better results shooting Super Comp. That being said when I got my 38SC bedell gun recently I had 6-700 pieces of 38 super brass laying around. I called Dan and he said as long as it was extracting to use it for practice only. Of course I didn't listen and tried to use it at a weekly match and had a malfunction. As I use the 38 Super up for practice I am NOT reloading it! The gun runs perfectly on the "correct" ammo, 38 SuperComp. I am not sure of long term effects but I would imagine the extractor won't like the Super ammo and let you know about it.

Just my 2 cents.

My last super open gun with an Aftec that was set up by Dawson to run TJ brass would run anything, regular 38 super, 38 supercomp, 9 supersomp, 38 TJ. I think the width of the breechface will be more of a factor if you have an actulal 9mm breechface rather than the wider Super.

I have an open gun marked 38 Super on the barrel and I can run both Super and Supercomp through it with no problems for either.

I originally bought super brass at first and now have bought supercomp the last time I bought new brass last year. I do not sort my brass out and run either through my press and gun even though some say I shouldn't do it that way.

As for the gun it all depends how it was tuned on the extractor. That being said a standard extractor tuned for supercomp can loose tension quickly by running super through it (Stated by Bob at Brazos) and it did happpen to me.

I now run an Aftec with both and no problems so far doing so.

Your results may vary...

It depends :).

If the 38 Supercomp gun as a 9mm breechface, a 38 super round won't even fit. I found the out the hard way when I took a 38 Super/Supercomp to the range with some super ammo. I ordered the SVI with Supercomp/9mm and a Super breechfaces and extractors. I didn't check which was in the gun and which caliber kit was left in the safe at home :).