Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee bullet feeder on a Dillon 650

Was loooking though my new Midway book and spotted the Lee Bullet feeder setup and was wondering if anyone's tinkered with one on there Dillon press yet? Looked like a simple set up and cheap enough too. If you tried it how did it work out for you? What activates it? Was thinking of adding one to my setup if it will work. Thought I'd ask around before spending the cash for an "experiment"

I tinkered with one years ago, it worked but always had problems with the plastic arms and the lack of a collator didn’t really speed up the process. IIRC in MA Systems catalog they had a similar feeder (same idea but not plastic) that was pneumatically actuated, for the 1050. The site that had a video of that setup now sells the KISS system. The problem with the KISS is the collator doesn’t like cast bullets.

• 5 years later...

I didn't drill and tap mine when I installed it, I had a tab off of the bottom of the ram.

I tell you what though, just pay a friend the $25 to kick you in the balls. Your money will be better spent. I like a lot of Lee products just not the feeder.

I have only run plated bullets through my RCBS bullet feeder. But if I read correctly it will feed lead bullets just fine. I swapped out in an RCBS combo taper crimp seater die so I could keep my powder cop.

I made a magazine similar to the mini mrbulletfeeder that works just fine but does require me to manually advance the magazine to keep adding bullets to the feed die

I have a Hornady Bullet Feed die and "tube" for my .40 cal bullets. Use the coated Bayou bullets as well as plated RMR. No issues with either type. Waiting for the 9mm, .38 spl, and .45 acp to get back in stock at the major retailers so I can save a few bucks on shipping.

I didn't drill and tap mine when I installed it, I had a tab off of the bottom of the ram.

I tell you what though, just pay a friend the $25 to kick you in the balls. Your money will be better spent. I like a lot of Lee products just not the feeder.

Not sure if you ever found the video (or still want it).. but here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB8l-xKvyQc

Thanks for the video. As I rather not have anybody kicking me where it hurts I will look at the GSI feeder.

I didn't want to drill into the aluminum casting so I made another rod out of stainless filler rod that ran to the bottom of the shaft.

When it worked it was pretty much just like in the video above. After a few hundred rounds the plastic arms loose tension and bullets start flying around. Then you can take it apart and boil them to return their effectiveness for a few more hundred rounds.

I don't even like boiled eggs much less reloading products.