Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tig Weld Or Brass Weld Barrel Question

Jasonub

hi guys,

my smith said he has to rebuild the barrel feet of my bar sto stainless barrel so it will rest properly with the slide stop.

I asked what he will use and he said he will use brass. Another smith said he will use tig welding. What will I you do tig or brass, will it affect the tempering and life of the barrel.

I cannot afford a new barrel so please help.

Is your 'smith sure this is really cheaper? A new barrel is $200. I can't imagine getting your barrel TIG'd and machined for much under $125 to $150. Sure you want to drop that kind of dough into an old barrel? Or, I could be totally out of touch with shop rates these days.

Why don't the feet fit?

Money wise, if only the feet need refitting, it will be a lot cheaper than a new barrel, AND a complete fit up.

Brass is just wrong :huh:

A great many barrels used to be built up by flame welding. A smith who knows his stuff should be able to do a great job with TIG. The heat treat on the bottom end of the barrel may be altered. It will need superior fitting to last with major loads.

If I was sure that the feet were the only problem, I'd do it.

I'm no gunsmith, but I did TIG up and fit the barrel on my SA. It works.

Jasonub,

We shall assume that when you say feet you mean lower lugs.

How much wear is on the barrel? The reason I ask is that I cannot imagine a Barsto barrel having the lower lugsl feet wear to the point of poor fit. More likely the slide stop pin has worn.

Exactly what has the 'smith said is wrong? You should probably call Irv @ Barsto and talk to him. Barsto Precision Machine