Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does it take to set up an IPSC range?

I posted this in the "what I hate" section (where it doesn't belong) :) Anyway, it seems there are more gun clubs not allowing IPSC matches? So, what is entailed in setting up a range for pistol matches? I'm land rich and cash poor, and really this is just an idea I've thought about in the past. How many people show up for the average match, how many would be interested in traveling, etc.?

I posted this in the "what I hate" section (where it doesn't belong) :) Anyway, it seems there are more gun clubs not allowing IPSC matches? So, what is entailed in setting up a range for pistol matches? I'm land rich and cash poor, and really this is just an idea I've thought about in the past. How many people show up for the average match, how many would be interested in traveling, etc.?

Where are you located?In Florida it would be a money maker.

pat

In florida for one year they let the public use the Dept of Corrections ranges. Worked well then the proviso law expired and I couldn't get any politician to sponsor making it permanent without a large campaign contribution.

So in florida it would seem the path is open just need deep pockets to get started.

Anybody got any good idea, how to start a petition for Florida

I recently received a notice from the NRA regarding an upcoming seminar on range development.

It will be held in Orlando.

I thought about attending because I am considering buying land specifically to create an IPSC club.

As to the amount of land it would take, I suppose it would depend on how many pistol bays you wanted to set up.

I would guess a minimum of about ten acres.

The info is as follows:

FAIRFAX, Va. - The National Rifle Association will hold a five-day Range Development & Operations Conference at the Holiday Inn - International Drive Resort in Orlando, Florida, March 29 - April 2, 2008. The course is designed for current or prospective range owners and operators, and the conference is the NRA's forum for expert training in range design, construction, operation, and management.

The conference teaches methods for either identifying or avoiding common problems associated with range engineering, administrative controls, environmental issues, and safety. Topics will include:

• Developing business and master plans
  • Public hearings and zoning boards
  • Environmental sound
  • Insurance
  • Lead on outdoor ranges
  • OSHA lead standards
  • Range maintenance
  • Range safety

"I have attended the Range Development & Operations Conference and want to commend the NRA and its staff on an incredible job of enlightening me with the proper knowledge and information needed to start up and maintain a safe, clean gun range," said Tony Doukas of Pompano Beach, Florida, who attended a conference last year in Tampa, Florida. "Also knowing the NRA will be at your assistance with any issue you may incur in the future is a comforting and secure feeling."

Registration for the conference is $450.00 (non-refundable), which includes all conference materials and a free copy of the NRA Range Source Book on CD-ROM.

Join us for this exciting and informative five-day industry seminar!

To reserve your seat at the Range Development & Operations Conference

in Orlando,

please call (800) 672-3888 x1276 or visit

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/2008fl.asp

Edited by 38superman

I attended the NRA's Range Development seminar about 12 years ago when I was interested in developing a sporting clays facility. Very informative and well presented, but I would suggest that if you're starting from scratch it might not be the best place to start. By that I mean that I already had a background in real estate development and more importantly, the permitting process. Of course they covered this as part of the seminar, but if you're located in an area which is unsuited for shooting range development [for any countless number of reasons] there's no point in a seminar of this type if you're dead from the get go due to local restrictions, conditions or regulations. Of course all of these obstacles may be overcome, but it's all at a cost. So, what to do?

First stop should be your local planning/zoning department. Most cities and/or counties have a help counter where you can talk directly to a person who is somewhat knowledgeable in their local codes. Since you may encounter hostility or negativity, if not a downright no!, when asking about shooting range development, I suggest that you simply tell them where you're located, how much land you've got and ask them to SHOW you [so you can see it in writing] what the permitted uses are on your land. Almost nowhere are shooting ranges [of any type] permitted outright, but rather they require a special or conditional use permit - that's your next question and depending on their attitude, etc., can be along the lines of "Is there a list of special or conditional uses in the zoning regulations where my land is and are shooting ranges allowed?" After that, the sky's the limit as to what the requirements to actually build a shooting range will be. They can range from and include everything from environmental impact statements, environmental checklists, shoreline management permits, wetlands permits, building permits, clear and grade permits, noise assessments, etc., etc., etc.....ad infinitum. One of our local long established ranges has spent months and months just to get the OK to add another 5-stand shotgun range next to an already existing trap field.

If you want to develop a new out of the ground shooting range, you'd better be located in an isolated rural area with friendly county commissioners and a local parks and recreation department who wants a new range so locals won't shoot out in the forest or gravel pits and the local law enforcement agencies also want it because they have to travel out of the county to a range where they can practice tactics and shoot qualifiers....Oh wait, that's where I live and the county, yes the actual county government itself has been trying to develop a range to meet community and law enforcement needs for over TEN YEARS and still they can't get it approved. I was arguing with my son's third grade teacher about this and now he's a junior in High School!!!!

I ended up buying 40 acres in an area where it would be difficult for the county to make it a "NO SHOOT" zone [yes, I checked that out carefully at the planning department] and setting up my own private sporting clays range. When my son wanted to start shooting USPSA, I took the big tractor and pushed up some berms and set up some steel and started blazing away. Once in a while we'll have a few friends over [30-40 on some days] but mostly it's just us and so far no complaints after 10 years. Of course the neighbors are invited too.

Anyway, I'm in Maryland, our farm is 140 acres in Carroll County. Right now, the Thurmont gun club runs both ipsc and idpa matches all summer long, and they do a great job. Part of what gave me the idea is, some buddies and me are making steel plates to set up, as it seems I can never steal even 1 Sunday a month to shoot at the Thurmont club. And well, one idea leads to another....

The Atlanta Conveservation Club just north of Indianapolis is only on 7-8 acres I believe and has 8 great pistol bays that are tremendously safe. The amount of land needed is not great, but the nearness of neighbors can be a problem.

Mdstihl,

Also what is the topography right around you.

North Mountain in VA operates in an apple orchard on less than probably five acres. I would think that an impact zone past the berms would be a desirable. Any natural berms (hills/mountains) would definitely help.

Check with your County Offices

For comparison Fredericksburg Rod and Gun Club is on about 150 Acres.

Alan

Edited by Alan Meek

We just started a new club in an out of business range. In West Texas, there are lots of calice pits that have been dug & no longer used & this is one of them. Actually, they still dig some now & then which just makes our range bigger. Right now, the extent of the range is @800' N-S & maybe 600' E-W. We have 6 fully developed pistol bays, 3 under construction, & 3 more deep in the planning stage plus we have 200yd rifle bay. These are big bays of varying sizes but bermed in on 3 sides. One nice thing is the nearest house is @1mile away, then another about 1.5, then it gets even further so no problems with neighbors. I can say in this part of the world, you could never make money with an operation like this but shooting has never been a money maker for us, anyway. Between a lease, insurance, & dirt work, it would be a very expensive operation to start with flat ground & build a range. The dirt work the original folks did was all good, solid work & has lasted a long time. It also has been a very good starting point for the additions we have made. We haven't had to undo anything, just add to it. Take a look, if you want, of some satellite images of the range from a year or two ago, before we took over. Just scroll around on the map page until you find the green arrow. www.wtps.us

MLM

How much do you need? I have your answer (because I have done it):

30 feet by 25 yards. You can run a 4 stage monthly match with over 50 shooters in 30 feet by 25 yards. Until 2007, I planned, helped set up, RO'd and tore down such a match at an indoor range. Our website is still up: ShootersParadise.com We even ran 4 stage classifiers and 3 gun in 30 feet by 25 yards. Do not let the ideal become the enemy of the possible. The land you own is fine for starting a USPSA match. Just do it.