Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith 646 for compition

keeper

I would like some input from the forum about using the Smith 646 for USPS I use a 625 now and love it. But, always open for a change. I reload for 40 S&W so thats not a consideration. Some specific questions. Is the recoil and recovery time similar in both revolvers? what are the advantages and disadvantged to tY cylinders. Are moon clips available for this revolver? and if so who sells them. Any thing any one else can think of please pass it on. Thanks

I would like some input from the forum about using the Smith 646 for USPS I use a 625 now and love it. But, always open for a change. I reload for 40 S&W so thats not a consideration. Some specific questions. Is the recoil and recovery time similar in both revolvers? what are the advantages and disadvantged to tY cylinders. Are moon clips available for this revolver? and if so who sells them. Any thing any one else can think of please pass it on. Thanks

Shooting "postal matches"? Sorry I couldn't help myself.

TK custom has moons for this gun as does Brownells.

Everyone I hear talking about these guns and Ti cylinders in general have sticking problems because the chambers need polished.

A buddy of mine has shot one in a few matches but he is slow with anything so I couldn't tell much difference. He didn't have problems with cases sticking because well his ammo probably didn't make minor.

I started with a speedloaded 686, worst choice.

Then 2 years of 625 but that frame/action is too big for my hand.

In the last 2 years I shot the 646 ( with 173 PF, 206RN bullet): sharp recoil, fast muzzle jump, fast recovery, a joy to pull and to handle.

Better to use fresh brass with taylored moonclip:HearthCo!

North Mountain clipholder and H&S Speedsec 5 holster.

For most shooters, a 625 will be a much better choice for competition shooting. I own a 646 and shot it for awhile in IDPA matches before they changed the rules. Loaded minor, it's a fun little gun to shoot--but with major loads, it's pretty jumpy. And I'm an old pin-shooter who's not particularly recoil-sensitive....

There are a variety of moonclips out there, I found it to be tricky to coordinate the moonclips and brass--if I didn't use the right combination of those, the rounds would either fit too stiffly (causing binding upon loading) or too loosely (leaving rounds hanging in my Blade-Tech holders).

I enjoy shoting the S&W 646 with blued steel moonclips from Ranch Products, ca. $75 per 100. The only minus with 40 S&W in a wheelgun is the the limited availability of true round nose bullets. The only one I have found is the Berry's 155 gr. HBRN.

Edited by TonyT

I have shot my 646 a little.

From what I have I'll give my observations.

My 646 required chamber polishing to keep it from sticking when hot. (Major loads made this show up more than MINOR)

I personally did NOT like shooting my 646 with MAJOR loads (I use a Miculek grip and that does not help either) It hurt after a very short time.

Shooting it MINOR.

I really LIKE shooting it at 130,000 power factor. It handles really well. very controlable and mine is really accurate !!! :)

The Smith&Wesson moonclips SUCK !!!!! I use HEARTHCO, and have some RIMZ to try.

Bullets.........

I use Precision Delta 180 grn fmj (lead based but Round nosed except the very tip is flat) and have ZERO problems, and they shoot good in my gun.

Will I shoot it instead of my 625 or 25-2 at a match ?

Depends on the match, a section or somewhere I'm really going to just "PLAY" maybe.

USPSA Nationals? NOPE I'll be shooting MAJOR with a gun that shoots 45ACP.

I have not tested to see what the average reload is vs. the average reload of the 25/625 but I'll tell you I think I have had the fastest reload times with the 646.

So there you are, just some observations from just a little time with the 646.

OH did I say that I really LIKE my 646 ???? :wub:

Hopalong

I shoot a 646 in uspsa competition. Very accurate, with 155HBRN Berry bullets The bullets are hard to find, but you can order direct from the factory. As has been said ,recoil is a little stout at major loading, but nice at minor. The 625 is a little large for my hand. The "L" frame seems better. I shot it at the nationals this year, and got nosed out by "Bwana six-gun" ( if you call a 200+ point lead a nosed out). But since I'm old and slow it was not the guns fault. Give it a try, the main thing is come out and give those revolvers a work out. Oh yes for a good mild accurate load give Tite-grp a try .

JWB

Here is a picture of my 646 ready to race (the other is in original configuration).

You can see the 206RN copper plated bullet I use to make Major for matches, for practice I use less expensive Frontier 200RN copper plated or lead 200RN; some Yellow Rex powder, federal primers: no high pressure, no brass sticking.But it kicks more than a 5" 625!

post-480-1203436707.jpg

Nice revolver, who's cylinder release is that? Tha 646 i'm looking at has a dovetail front sight did you have yours modifyed? Their's much talk about sticty extraction, will standard cylinder hones work or do you need something special. Thanks again for all the informative replys my intrest has been renued.

Beware the PC646 (made in 2000), my positive considerations apply only to S&W 646 ( 900 made in 2003), with a heavy bullet (200 grains or so) pressure is not a problem nor is extraction of spent brass, assumed that brass is not abused !

Front sight and cylinder latch are made by a friend of mine.