Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fiber optics insert color

velvetant

I voted other. I like black. I took a black broom bristle and put it in to fill the hole. Never shot better points in my life. Now I am forced to see the front sight......all of it. No more blur of a bright dot passing through the notch and breaking the shot soon or late. I changed all the sights on my guns to solid blades after figuring that out.

No more colored fiber for me. And yes I do still have good eyes and am fairly young. So time may change things.

Some of the different answers are because people are different, sometimes it is just what people started with. But something that hasnt been mentioned. Light and terrain differences probably account for the different favorites. Green stands out better in Oahu where all the dirt is red, and like one poster said green gets lost in green leaves, I allways liked yellow better because I shot in dim indoor ranges, moving outdoors the red shows up better. Then I got tired and just use a black sight. for low light I'll dab on some white fingernail polish.

Human eyes sense lightwaves with sensors called rods and cones. The cones

sense color and the rods, which are the most sensitive sensors, sense faint

light but not color. Our eyes sense light slightly differently in darkness

than in daylight. In day light our eyes are most sensitive to green light,

they are slightly less sensitive to yellow and blue light, they are only one

half as sensitive to orange and lavender light and they are only one tenth

as sensitive to red and violet light.

Adrian Popa

We have to consider other factors though as in backgrounds and target color. So even though our choice might not be the easiest to see it might be the one that works best to pick a target from background clutter.

Edited by JThompson

I have definately run into stages with red/orange steel and alot of folks with red FO inserts were none to happy! :D Didnt bother me as I use green, for no particular reason other than I found some bulk somewhere real cheap and now I have three feet or something like that and dont plan on change colors for some time!

I used Green for a long time, relatively speaking, then the FO's started messing with my focus on the top of the front sight. It was told to me by GM Scott Springer that I would eventually want a plain black front sight for those reasons...I just wasn't ready to hear it at the time.

I voted other. I like black. I took a black broom bristle and put it in to fill the hole. Never shot better points in my life. Now I am forced to see the front sight......all of it. No more blur of a bright dot passing through the notch and breaking the shot soon or late. I changed all the sights on my guns to solid blades after figuring that out.

No more colored fiber for me. And yes I do still have good eyes and am fairly young. So time may change things.

I originaly went green, best contrast for me, but I voted other for BLACK !!! Something in my brain thought that

the bouncing green dot worked like a Cmore. Man was that wrong !!

Green. Mostly because it seems brighter when I compare them.

In addition since I primarily shoot open I found that when switching back from open to limited having a red dot at the end of my gun triggered the "dot on A-Zone, trigger shot" response and I forgot all about the whole "use the rear sight" business.

Peter

Yep, me too!

:cheers: