Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my 1st IDPA match!

LoneRider

Wow, Had a great time at my first IDPA match Sat. !!!

Had a little trouble remembering to flip the safety off when drawing the pistol <_<

All the targets were covered with black garbage bags for some reason so I wasn't real sure where the center area was. Most of my shots were 1-3" low shooting w/2 hands. For some reason all shots 1 handed were dead center! By the end of the day they were calling me "Gut Shooter" :rolleyes:

Had no trouble with the steel...knocked them all down with first shot!

Will go back, in fact a different club shoots this weekend, planning to go shoot there. This may be as addictive as Cowboy Shooting!

"Some reason" is to "dress" the targets so you cannot see the scoring rings and have to shoot by "anatomy", recalling that the Zero is above the center of mass. Just like an enemy's heart is above the middle of his body.

I have seen black trash bags used in lieu of T-shirts once or twice ever. The thin plastic does not wad up around the bullet and rip out an uneven hole and is easier to lift to score and paste.

• 2 weeks later...
Most of my shots were 1-3" low shooting w/2 hands. For some reason all shots 1 handed were dead center!

Tighten up your weak hand grip and try to press the trigger straight to the rear for a surprise break. The weak hand grip will help prevent your muzzle from dipping as you pull the trigger. You might try some 50 ft Bullseye practice with both hands to sharpen up your trigger pull.

• 2 weeks later...

What can be interesting is when they put a "shoot" target in front of a knockdown target. You have to put 2 in the cardboard and make sure the knockdown goes down. In the NC State Match they had that setup, and the knockdown activated two swingers along with a drop turner. That was a very interesting stage to shoot and watch. Oh and you were shooting seated in a vehicle. The target hiding the knockdown was on the right side of the vehicle, while the swingers and drop turner were on the left side of the vehicle. :surprise:

Edited by Blueridge