Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40SW loaded to 10mm OAL

Mark K

I shoot a 40SW SVI Limited. It was setup when I bought it used to shoot 1.23-1.25 OAL. It feeds great with that OAL. Once I built up a load for it to shoot major, my loads seemed to reflect the data on the load tables for a 10mm (currently using N340). It makes logical sense. So, am I missing something in thinking that in the future as I try other powders and bullets, I should use the 10mm tables for the various powders?

Sounds like a dumb question, but I want to be safe.

Mark

I am starting to get into loading 40S&W at 10mm lengths as well. I have been told that the wall thickness of a 10mm case is greater than that of a 40S&W case. The warning I was given was to NOT attempt to get near the upper end of the "hot rod" 10mm loads if using a 40S&W case because of risk of case rupture.

~Mitch

In a fully supported barrel the case wall thickness isn't going to matter, the barrel will fail if enough pressure is reached. In a barrel with less than full case support the thickness will be a factor if trying to really push hard.

• 1 month later...

the HOT rod 10mm loads that are in the books generate the same chamber pressure the 40 does 35K psi.

The thinner case at the same OAL has more case volume than the thicker 10mm case and the 40 uses a small pistol primer....all add up to lower pressure.

Myth busted.

You newer guys will want to be careful going off the books. 40 is a fairly high pressure round. You will want to develop your loads...checking for signs of pressure along the way.

Oreo...these guys are talking about loading 40 extra long because that it often what it takes for it to feed in the 1911 based guns (and STI's that competition shooters use). You can't load that long in a Glock 22 or G35...because the rounds won't feed. And, no...the stock Glock barrel isn't considered "fully supported"...even less so when people out in lighter and lighter recoil springs (which can lead to the gun not being fully in battery when fired).