Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Slide Racker

Jeff686

Henning,

Eric has some new slide rackers for sale on his web page. They look similar to sidewinders.

I'd have bought one, but my gunsmith is already fitting a sidewinder for me.

Do you have any plans to carry them?

I had a talk with Eric at the Shot Show and funny I was just checking out his shop tonite as well...

I think these are made for 1911 slide cuts which means they are not going to be a 100% tight fit. That's what I remember Eric told me at the show.

We might start making a Tanfoglio/EAA specific slide racker. Is this the shape you're interested in ?

I had a talk with Eric at the Shot Show and funny I was just checking out his shop tonite as well...

I think these are made for 1911 slide cuts which means they are not going to be a 100% tight fit. That's what I remember Eric told me at the show.

We might start making a Tanfoglio/EAA specific slide racker. Is this the shape you're interested in ?

Well, I'm no expert on slide racker ergonomics, but I do have a few ideas.

The factory racker has to go on the wrong side or it takes skin off your thumb, and I don't really like that. I think the sidewinders are a bit too large and look like a motorcycle handle bar. I know that larger is easier to find and grab, but it's also easier to catch on things. I guess if you're a big aero-wings fan, the slide racker is small.

Key concepts:

reversable

drop in design - no fitting required

low profile, minimalist design, just enough to get your index finger hooked onto

good thumb clearance for those with big fingers, with a sharp high turn or twist to stay away from the danger zone.

aluminum? annodized in different colors?

ball plunger built into racker (not slide). yea, I know, when pigs fly...

Actually, why aluminum or steel? Why not delrin? Sell 'em in 5 packs for $10 :D

I have been messing around making racker's for my gold team, and one thing I have noticed is that there are some tolerance differences between guns. We had 2 gold teams here and a racker we made fit one gun perfect but didn't fit the other one, wouldn't even make it into the dovetail. So if Henning did make them they would all have to be moderately lose. I have been making mine out of stainless 316 rod and I have been happy with the weight and the feel of it. I am not sure about using alum that does much more then the stock one and no one is too happy with that.

There is also probably noway to put a detent into the racker because of the placement of the sets, you would almost need to kiss the top of the slide with a end mill just a little.

Leo

The sidewinder on Erics page is the same picture on EGW's page. EGW buys the raw racker from me then puts the set screw in the middle. We put the set screw on the end as seen on my web page.

Henning I am not sure of the dimensions you need but I am sure the sidewinder can be fit. We can supply you the blank , raw racker to be machined to your specs. Call me if your interested. I think it will be cheaper then building a new mold.

The Sidewinders are great on 1911's and for them I don't think there is anything better. The Sidewinder concept is great for the Tanfo's but in my opinion will require some mods to be truely funtional because the slide dovetail is much lower compared to a 1911 gun. Accordingly when mounted for a left side pull (right handed shooter) they sweep out rather low relative to the safety and tend to hang up on the thumb during the draw stroke. Mine required some bending and filing to get it to fit so as not to impede my draw (or knock my thumbnail off). I know the photo isn't great but you can sort of see how it angles upward now rather than out. It works great this way though. http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/rel...os/100_0423.jpg

So if you're thinking about something made specifically for the Tanfo line Henning, do consider thumb clearance for left side mounting. I don't know if they make the Sidewinder for Left handers.