Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.7x28 reloading

AZGUNNER

• 9 months later...

BTT-

Well, someone in these forums is loading and shooting this little "pills", whether you want to admit it or not. :mellow:

So, give!!! :angry2: :angry2:

Yeah. I just got one of those FN SP-90's thingamajigs. And yes I got a nice, neat brass catcher for it, so that I can recycle that pricey brass. (Which has come down in price quite a bit) Yes, I know that I should shoot 5.56/.223 , but I already do that too. This is something new widen my horizons. Why not ?

So, I am looking for some loads for the bullets available from .55 grs and down. What powders, loads etc. Also, who has dies for them ? I don't see it listed by Dillon, but maybe they do ???

This should be a nice toy to shoot with, ??!!

Any problems or tricks reloading these cartridges ???? Your input will be appreciated very much.

I don't reload for it but I have looked into it for a buddy.

Dillon doesn't support this caliber at all for thier machines. So if you want ot reload it you will need to load on a single stage. Don't know if any other company supports it on thier progressive loader? There was a guy who was having shellplates custom made for the 550 at one time. He was over on the 5.7 forums.

I do know that powders in the area of Accurate #7 are popular for this cartridge.

I woudl suggest reaidng the 5.7 forums for the latest info. It has been a while since I went there for research.

Neal in AZ

Darn....i hate to hear that the brass for these has come down in cost because i saved a boat load of it while working at an indoor range a while back.....just in case i ever got a toy that would shoot them....i hear that there is a conversion so you can shoot them using the FN 50 rd mag on an AR15 conversion.....D I C K

BTT-

Well, someone in these forums is loading and shooting this little "pills", whether you want to admit it or not. :mellow:

Yeah. I just got one of those FN SP-90's thingamajigs. And yes I got a nice, neat brass catcher for it, so that I can recycle that pricey brass. (Which has come down in price quite a bit) Yes, I know that I should shoot 5.56/.223 , but I already do that too. This is something new widen my horizons. Why not ?

So, I am looking for some loads for the bullets available from .55 grs and down. What powders, loads etc. Also, who has dies for them ? I don't see it listed by Dillon, but maybe they do ???

Any problems or tricks reloading these cartridges ???? Your input will be appreciated very much.

Darn....i hate to hear that the brass for these has come down in cost because i saved a boat load of it while working at an indoor range a while back.....just in case i ever got a toy that would shoot them....i hear that there is a conversion so you can shoot them using the FN 50 rd mag on an AR15 conversion.....D I C K
BTT-

They do have an "upper" for the AR's called the AR-5.7, but I don't thing it uses the FNH SP-90 magazines ... (???) It is meant to use the 5.7 X28 ammo in the AR platform.

On the other hand ... if you still have that brass around, and feel compelled to get rid of it, just send me a PM. I might be a tad interested. :cheers:

I have checked in the Five Seven Forums and found some useful info. I was hoping to find some info here from my "peeps". :closedeyes:

I load this round on my 550, Brass right now is only once fired no virgin brass...yet.

I load up some subsoinc, and normal rounds.

I have a ps90, the fiveseven pistol, and the 5.7 upper for my AR.

The powder i use and works great is Ramshot true blue.

Edited by Holliday89

BTT-

They do have an "upper" for the AR's called the AR-5.7, but I don't thing it uses the FNH SP-90 magazines ... (???) It is meant to use the 5.7 X28 ammo in the AR platform.

On the other hand ... if you still have that brass around, and feel compelled to get rid of it, just send me a PM. I might be a tad interested. :cheers:

I have checked in the Five Seven Forums and found some useful info. I was hoping to find some info here from my "peeps". :closedeyes:

Correction:

I am being told that the AR-5.7 upper does indeed uses the top mounted P-90 mags and also ejects though the bottom (AR mag opening) in a similar fashion as the SP-90.

Now ... if somebody made this conversion for the AR but it would fire the 5.56 instead of the 5.7X28 .... :surprise::rolleyes: Or, (here is my "wet" dream) ... a conversion that would fire the 5.56 in the SP-90. :mellow:

Nice daydream, but both have serious technical problems. the tapered case of the .223 means you can't have a straight magazine, and thus the top-mount design of the 5.7 won;t work. A new cartridge would, but then you aren't shooting .223/5.56.

The PS-90 is a blowback action., I really don't want to be shooting a blowback .223/5.56, although the French FAMAS comes close.

• 1 month later...

Yes, people do reload the 5.7x28 on there 550. Elite ammunition is the one that makes the shell plates for the 550. I plan on setting mine up for it sometime soon.

Edited by bravo2

• 2 weeks later...

I do. http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/ReloadingNotesGrammaton76

There's a lot of reloading discussion on this round over at the 5.7 forum. I use Blue Dot powder and my load data's at the link above.

On a side note, it MUST BE EMPHASIZED that these loads have only been tested in the PS90 RIFLE. The handguns are a LOT more sensitive, so I don't recommend using load data for the rifle, for the pistol... there's plenty of reports of blowing up the handguns with very slight changes from confirmed load data.