Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sti spartan

Good Time Gang

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first of all thank you all very much. well, i like a dumb ass was using a kimber prior to ss and got rid of it. the next year ss came to be and i dont want to spend that type of $ due to the fact that the kimber got sloppy on me. i shoot production with a glock atm, and after reading i think i will pick up a spartan and run her like i stole her. i am sure she will shoot bettern' me anyway. i looked at the RIA after reading the post, and while i know that the sights arnt worth $200 the muss and fuss is. correct me if i am wrong, but the spartan has ajd. and fiber sights? also how many mags does it come with?

first of all thank you all very much. well, i like a dumb ass was using a kimber prior to ss and got rid of it. the next year ss came to be and i dont want to spend that type of $ due to the fact that the kimber got sloppy on me. i shoot production with a glock atm, and after reading i think i will pick up a spartan and run her like i stole her. i am sure she will shoot bettern' me anyway. i looked at the RIA after reading the post, and while i know that the sights arnt worth $200 the muss and fuss is. correct me if i am wrong, but the spartan has ajd. and fiber sights? also how many mags does it come with?

One Novak magazine.

first of all thank you all very much. well, i like a dumb ass was using a kimber prior to ss and got rid of it. the next year ss came to be and i dont want to spend that type of $ due to the fact that the kimber got sloppy on me.

Slide to frame fit loosened?

Put the first 100 rounds through it tonight... Not one single problem of any sort. I used the stock Novak mag and a new 47D without any hiccups. Accuracy was horrible at first, but after a few dozen rounds, she started grouping nicely - slightly better than my M&P9, and about as good as my Witness Match - it'll take me a while to get used to 45's again.

A slimmer front sight is definitely in order. Anybody figure out just what cut the front sight dovetail is?

Also thinking about doing some paint... the park should be a decent base for some gun-kote... It's just a bit too ugly for me :D

Dawson part # 020-008 works, it is labeled Baer/Novak

How tough is the factory sight to remove? It looks like it might be stubborn.

Thanks for the info!

I have also heard that they are fit really-really tight and tough to take out. But a sight pusher shouldn't have too much trouble.

Parts update:

DP front sight - a little more than minor fitting is required - the cut on the Spartan is a bit deep, so you'll have to shave some off the bottom of the sight blade as I think Merlin pointed out in another post. I think I'll have one professionally installed when I can - mine looks like crap now. A good solid whack with a steel punch took the old site out without even scratching it.

S&A magwell - fits great - only the tiniest sliver of a gap below the frame - but the front tangs are touching the frame without any persuasion. It does sit quite far to the rear (as the stock mainspring housing did also), so I had to bevel the back edge of the frame to blend the well.

Wilson extended mag release - fit ok - had to clean up the rough spots on both the frame and the release, and it was a bit tight all the way around. Had to remove a fair amount off the ear to get it to slide nicely. Not sure how much of the surgery was due to the part being rough though.

EGW oversize slide stop - Fits like a glove. A bit long, so I had to put a steeper angle on the end to get it to slide past the plunger nicely, but other than that it's mint.

C&S Trik trigger - dropped right in. It's a bit loose vertically (about the same as most brand name off the shelf guns), but I'm still happy with it. Love the longer reach and flat face.

Les Baer wide ambi safety - not gonna fly. This one will take a bit of filing to get it to mate with the slide, and the sear block is too short. It passes a safety function test, but I can still see the sear moving when it's engaged, so I'm not going to chance it.

Here's a quick and dirty pic - Yamil I am not...

post-12461-1202961765.jpg

Doing similar modifications, .100 Dawson front sight, Brown extended magazine release but no mag well; it's just a larger hole to miss. Put in a ISMI 14 lbs recoil spring. My gun doctor is waiting to finalize the trigger until after I have in hard chromed in a month or two.

Finally received five Safariland 771 mag pouches so I am actually SS ready now.

Parts update:

DP front sight - a little more than minor fitting is required - the cut on the Spartan is a bit deep, so you'll have to shave some off the bottom of the sight blade as I think Merlin pointed out in another post. I think I'll have one professionally installed when I can - mine looks like crap now. A good solid whack with a steel punch took the old site out without even scratching it.

Good to know- I will be updating the front sight soon with a .090" Dawson myself.

Parts update:

S&A magwell - fits great - only the tiniest sliver of a gap below the frame - but the front tangs are touching the frame without any persuasion. It does sit quite far to the rear (as the stock mainspring housing did also), so I had to bevel the back edge of the frame to blend the well.

Man- yours fits waaaay better then mine does- I'm jealous... :(

I will be installing that Dawson trigger kit I just got a deal on once it gets here. If I find anything out of the ordinary as far as fitting is concerned I will be sure to post it here. I need to get an ambi safety too....probably going to go with the Wilson Wide Ride model.

Then I should be set to race! :cheers:

Yup, Brazos or Dawson.

The Spartan ran perfectly today at the local match, and for every round since I bought it. Only issue now is the DP front sight is too low - the rear is bottomed out and it's ~2" high @ 15 yards... Oh well, needs a prettier sight anyway after I buggered up the last one :rolleyes:

Yup, Brazos or Dawson.

The Spartan ran perfectly today at the local match, and for every round since I bought it. Only issue now is the DP front sight is too low - the rear is bottomed out and it's ~2" high @ 15 yards... Oh well, needs a prettier sight anyway after I buggered up the last one :rolleyes:

What height of sight did you get? You can get them from Dawson in heights of .140, .160, .180 and .200". I want to make sure and order a taller one then.....

Yup, Brazos or Dawson.

What height of sight did you get? You can get them from Dawson in heights of .140, .160, .180 and .200". I want to make sure and order a taller one then.....

.180 - Definitely order a .200 Jay - or at least check your stock rear sight setting - mine was all the way down out of the box...

Yup, Brazos or Dawson.

.180 - Definitely order a .200 Jay - or at least check your stock rear sight setting - mine was all the way down out of the box...

Crap, already have a .180!

Yup, Brazos or Dawson.

Right now mine is off the slide a bit with the factory sight. On my Limited STI it is a bit higher yet and I think that is a .180". Maybe I will have to get one of each?!