Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Die to aid neck expansion?-- .30-30, .32-40, 32 Win Special

FromTheWoods

I recently purchased a 550B. Loaded a few thousand handgun cartridges of various calibers. When I switched to loading for rifles, I ran into a problem.

There seems to be no neck expander for the old Winchester rifle calibers. The instructions call for Powder Funnel "B", but that is a short, straight tube--no expander, no mouth flair.

I'd prefer to expand the case necks and bell the mouths in the Powder drop station.

Are there powder funnels that expand the necks and mouths of .308 and .321 caliber cases. (I'll likely run into this with a few more of the calibers I load for. As yet, I haven't checked them for this problem.)

Would a .30 carbine funnel "C" work for the .30-30?

Does the 8mm funnel "M" have the expander tip on it? --For the .32-40 and .32 Win Special?

The 30 Carbine would make perfect sense for the 30-30 and other old style true 30 cal (308") cases. I use the Lyman M die for 30-30 and 303 for lead bullets when I used a single stage machine to help keep base damage to a minimum. Lyman make a huge range of these type of expander dies.

The 'M' Powder Funnel for 8mm is same as 'B' not an expander. Intended for 8mm bottle neck cases.

8mm is .323" not .321" a Lyman M die in 8mm will over expand for 32Special etc.

The 32S&W / ACP expander will only go out enough for .314" bullets at the maximum. Designed for .312" to .313"

I would call Dillon and see what the have that can work. Many of the dies for those calibres you are trying to use are three die sets and expand the case mouth with the second die.

For loading the cases that need case expanding and Dillon do not provide the answer I have tried using the old style Dillin Powder Measure (springs return only) on the third (back left) position and use the expander die in second (front left) position. I have had varying success. If you have the 550 instruction manual there is a page full of possibilities at the back. It covers "nearly" everything. Get a copy of cartridges of the world and using the cartridge dimension guide at the rear you can solve a whole heap of conversions that are not covered by the Dillon book.

Thank you, GM. As you suggest, I'll just have to get a bit creative if I choose to expand in the second position.

It's part of the enjoyment--as long as success is the norm.

Yes, I was a bit too wide with that 8mm idea. I thought perhaps the 8 would not expand excessively. Some of my dies after expanding still make it a challenge to fit a proper bullet into the case.

I had called Dillon a couple days ago with this problem. In retrospect, I likely did not ask enough funnel questions to move the conversation to a solution.

I'll hit the books and the internet. Maybe another call to Dillon--this time, with my head on straight.

The best way to get the right answers is to ask the right question.

Make a bunch of notes about what you wish to ask. Leave space for answers and work through the notes, don't be afraid to ask the same question in a different way. Explain clearly and concisely what you wish to achieve. You would be surprised to find out you may not be the first person to do what you are trying to do.

The case neck is expanded when sizing. The powder drop is only a "funnel" to get the powder in the case. For what you're thinking, (a rifle equivelent to a pistol power drop) the hole would be so small it would take a long time to charge the case, if powder didn't bridge and clog the hole.

the 30 Carbine funnel will work to flare 30-30 and 308 cases, BUT.....

Because of the much greater height of these bottleneck cases, the powder

die is backed up considerably. To prevent case damage, you need to guide

the case onto the funnel by hand. I recently loaded about 500 rounds of 30-30

with lead bullets and TrailBoss powder, and used the 30 carbine funnel. :ph34r:

I load most of my bottleneck brass in semi-progressive mode on my 650. I decap/size with no neck expander in the die/then use a Lyman M die to ex-pand the neck (also keeps from stretching the brass longer) and give a bit of flair if I am loading lead. I then throw them in the polisher and then primer/powder/seat bullet. I load quite a bit of lead in .308 and 7.62x39 and use this procedure. If I need more flair I can also install a lee universal neck flairing die after the powder station and give the neck more flair without disturbing the powder.

Neal in AZ