Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Finger Focus

Flexmoney

I am qutoing from Dave Anderson (AH July/Aug 2003), who is quoting from Ed McGivern (Fast and Fancy, Revolver Shooting)...

I am on my way out the door, but I wanted to foot-note this. Maybe somebody can take up the topic for me?

Ed talks of squeezing the trigger back slowly, then releasing the trigger at the same speed it was squeezed (important).

Squeeze seems to be a word that has been kinda lost to the action pistol shooter lately???

(BTW, Ed's trigger technique leads to quick splits)

When I took a class from Ron Avery he really emphasized, "Same speed in, same speed out..." when manipulating the trigger on a semi auto pistol. The same holds true of a revolver. Of course, the goal is to develop quick splits.

The whole notion of "trigger, trigger, trigger, sight, sight, sight" and "squeeze" is something you find in the precision revolver shooting sports. I haven't seen the same mentality in IPSC with the exception of old timers who switch over to IPSC from Action Pistol or PPC.

My finger moves so quickly on an auto when I'm cranking away at close range that I couldn't tell you what the heck was going on. But although I've never tried to apply it, I can't imagine that practicing a constant speed trigger pull on medium to difficult shots with an auto wouldn't be beneficial.

be

A cadence thing..since the pull and reset is so much longer with a wheel gun.

Once the trigger pull starts it's easier and smoother to maintain the same speed?

Maybe varying speeds introduces tension?

Something new to experiment with.

Flex, squeezing isn't gone. You just have to learn how to squeeze faster now :). Miculek emphasizes continuous trigger movement (as shred said earlier). His philosophy is that to move continously is easier than to move, stop, move, stop etc. There's less tension, so it's easier to increase speed.

Only thing I find hard is to do the smooth thing in actual live fire. In dryfire I can pull the trigger 50 times in 10 seconds max. In live fire (no target, just speed), I can pull six times in 1.5 seconds (that would be 40 times, if I would be able to keep on going). Guess the smoothness is disturbed by the bang and movement.