Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 mm major, again!

olp73

Any one care to share there 9mm major loads with me?

I am new to open and will soon start to load 9mm major. The gun is a small frame tanfoglio, so I can’t load long. Most of the loads I find here at the forum are intended for the 1911 platform, and has a longer OAL than std. I have hardly seen anything in published loading data that is close to major. And if it is, it has a lot less powder than what seem to be common among you guys.

Can it be that hybrids and comps lower the pressures that much? Or are the margins that big? As much as 2 gr. over max loads are not uncommon when using relatively slow powders.

I am grateful for all tips. I just want a starting point, - something to work with.

Tanks, Olp :surprise:

olp73,

a teammate of mine used to shoot a Tanfoglio open gun in 9x21mm with 2 port holes and 3-chambers compensator (barrel lenght 5.25").

His loads were:

7.3 grs of Vihtavuori N350, under a 124 grs RN plated bullet, C.O.L. 1.125", PF about 165.

7.1 grs of Winchester 540, under the same bullet, same C.O.L. , same PF.

He adviced he hasn't been able to reach Major PF with slower burning powders like Vihtavuori 3N37, but he hasn't experimented with small rifle primers, so YMMV.

olp73,

a teammate of mine used to shoot a Tanfoglio open gun in 9x21mm with 2 port holes and 3-chambers compensator (barrel lenght 5.25").

His loads were:

7.3 grs of Vihtavuori N350, under a 124 grs RN plated bullet, C.O.L. 1.125", PF about 165.

7.1 grs of Winchester 540, under the same bullet, same C.O.L. , same PF.

He adviced he hasn't been able to reach Major PF with slower burning powders like Vihtavuori 3N37, but he hasn't experimented with small rifle primers, so YMMV.

...........mmmm, :blink: if i can use 9x21 loading data it helps a lot. The question is: if a 9x21 load has the same OAL as a 9x19 they should have very similar case volume, but are they comparable, identical or only helpful as a guide line? Are there other differences I am over looking?

In comparison with 9x19 there are a lot of 9x21 loads to be found.

Any one care to share there 9mm major loads with me?

I am new to open and will soon start to load 9mm major. The gun is a small frame tanfoglio, so I can’t load long. Most of the loads I find here at the forum are intended for the 1911 platform, and has a longer OAL than std. I have hardly seen anything in published loading data that is close to major. And if it is, it has a lot less powder than what seem to be common among you guys.

Can it be that hybrids and comps lower the pressures that much? Or are the margins that big? As much as 2 gr. over max loads are not uncommon when using relatively slow powders.

I am grateful for all tips. I just want a starting point, - something to work with.

Tanks, Olp :surprise:

Hi Olp & good post.

I have to load 9mm major "short" for my HJC Glock. You mentioned that you are starting out with a gun that requires shorter OALs. For starters, please stick with 124 grn bullets; I used the excellent Montana Gold 124s (either the JHP or the CMJ-RN). For safety, I always use a EGW "U" die which prevents bullet set back.

For powder, the old Tanfoglio stand-by was & is HS-6; there is a lot of data here and some of it should include loads under 1.160" OAL. I would suggest starting with that powder since its available, cheap and safe.

As for pressure, the 9mm case can take it using a variety of loads the book data is simply VERY weak. Forget about what is in the books. The book loads have to account for weak and antique guns that are also 9mm. Comps have no effect on lowering pressure.

If you still have difficulty finding Tanfoglio loads under 1.160", do a google search on "Jeff Maass reloading" which should bring up his old data for the 9x21 and can serve as a starting point. NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - that data is for 175+ Power Factor!! It MUST be reduced. It is also for 9x21 and says you should not use it for 9mm major - but, remember, you are going to REDUCE those loads at least 15% - 20% to start & carefuly chrono from there. Finally, consider this: of the 9x21 was safe at short OALs loaded all the way to 180 PF, don't you think that lower 165+ PF loads would also be safe? The published data is weak - VERY weak.

Regards, D.

BTW, the powders I used were N350, 3N38 and Power Pistol. Of those, N350 will also work well for your purposes.

Edited by Carlos

...........mmmm, :blink: if i can use 9x21 loading data it helps a lot. The question is: if a 9x21 load has the same OAL as a 9x19 they should have very similar case volume, but are they comparable, identical or only helpful as a guide line? Are there other differences I am over looking?

9x21 was developed in mid 80ies for the italian market.

We're forbidden from owning 9x19 caliber guns and ammunition, since it's a military (sic!) round: it's in use with police and army.

For this reason, IMI developed 9x21 which is a 9x19 mm case lenghtened by 2 mm, up to 9x21. Ballistics have been exactly duplicated and, in some cases, exceeded (original IMI loads were pretty hot for todays standards).

As far as I know, the cases have pretty much the same dimensions (except for lenght), thus if you load 9x19 to 9x21 C.O.L., all you will get is a bit less of brass supporting the bullet.

I would say play on the safe side: start a good 10-15% lower than previously indicated load, then wotk up your load looking for overpressure signs.