Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keeping Your Reloading Equipment Rust Free

Jeeper

For those of you that are more familiar with humid weather: What do you use to keep stuff rust free? In addition what do you use to take the rust off that is already there(besides wd-40)? I have noticed rust on almost every area on my press. I know that it is from the oil in my hands. I have also noticed it inside some dies and the powder die on my dillon. Any tips?

Moving from phoenix to houston cause a few problems with my reloading gear. (Damn I miss the DRY HEAT!)

Jeeper, As the name implies, WD-40 is the 40th variation of a Water Dispersant. It WILL allow rust to form if some form of lubricant/protectant is not applied.

A light coating of CLP has kept my AmmoMaster rust free even in the corrosive environment here in NJ (we're only 40 miles from the beach, er-um SHORE [southern transplant])

Later,

Glockn...

Corrosion-X is one of the better rust preventatives and corrosion neutralizers I've tried. You can get it at aircraft parts houses or probably at the airport. It actually kills off the rust on contact. It does not, however, last as long as claimed. About a month or two in really damp conditions is all you can hope for. I use it to treat guns before putting them in extended storage too.

Corrosion-X

On exterior parts, such as a primer shield, handle, etc., use a cheap paste type automotive wax. this acts as a moisture barrier. continure to use 30 wt motor oil on the shaft, just apply more often. On the interior of dies, some of the aerosol anti rust compounds work, but they usually need to be removed from the working surfaces before use. Same on powder funnels on Dillon equipment. Remove the funnel from the die,coat with oil or car wax, store separately. remove wax or oil with solvent before using it. Good Luck!

Here in Mobile, AL on the Sunny (Soggy??) Gulf coast where we have about 80 inches of rain a year, rust and mildew (FWIW Not a part of this thread but keep an eye on your leather goods as well) are always a potential problem.

As far as my 550B goes, I have found that regular use (and lubrication to keep the press running) will prevent any rusting of consequence. I typically lubricate with BreakFree CLP which is great for keeping a coating of lube/rust preventitive on your press. However, I do not lube any part of my dies. IMHO, lube and primers/powder do not mix. Too much chance of contamination.

You can fight it, and somewhat reduce it, but metal in a humid atmosphere, unless coated in cosmoline will always rust!!!! :D:D:D

Just my humble opinion.

Dennis